Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 2nd, 2013 18:00

UltraScan P991 Monitor Astigmatism

So it's the year 2013, and here I am with this Dell UltraScan P991 CRT monitor. It was working beautifully. Overnight, the image became blurred around the edges, though it's sharply clear in the center. Here are my attempts to remedy this problem:

1. degauss: no effect
  2. adjust convergence via OSD: no effect
  3. restore defaults button: no effect
  4. obvious magnetic interference removed: no effect

I have checked the video card with another monitor and it's working nicely. The peculiar part to this whole thing is, when I tilt the monitor downward, the image fully sharpens again. After about 20-30 seconds fully tilted downward, the image reverts to the blurry edges again.

Say, just for kicks, I might decide to venture into the cabinet to investigate the problem. What might I be looking for? Not a fatal electric shock, mind you! Might this issue be corrected by a slight twist of some internal dial? Or could there be a loose plug somewhere? I know one aspect I have not checked is the video cable itself, which is a permanent part of the monitor. Though, gently flexing and moving the cable around has not produced any strange effects.

I would appreciate some genuine advice, not trash it, hit with hammer, or upgrade to LCD monitor, thank you very much!

- a sentimental CRT user

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 22:00

Hi clariscad,

If the focus or the monitor tube goes becomes blurry it may be due to the line output transformer not outputting the voltage required to give the output. Replacing it with service technician would cost more. I would suggest you to go for a new monitor instead.

4 Posts

August 5th, 2013 22:00

I'd like to add: when the monitor is finally warmed up (that is, the Color Return function is available via OSD), the blurry effect seems to clear when I move or compress the cabinet. Is this movement discharging something inside?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 6th, 2013 02:00

Hi clariscad,

This issue may be due to voltage fluctuation through the line output transformer or the electronic board connection to the CRT tube may be loose. I would suggest you to contact a technician further.  

No Events found!