Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2007 15:00

Viewing angle -- SP1908FP

Maybe it's my old eyes, but ... :smileytongue:

I recently purchased an XPS 410 desktop with nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS video card and two 19" SP1908FP monitors.  I have each screen connected via DVI-D cables.  I'm running each at 1280x1024, 32-bit color, 60Hz and with the latest drivers from nVidia.

This panel is spec'd as having a 160 degree viewing angle, both horizontal and vertical.  But it seems that unless I'm sitting almost directly in front of either screen, they wash out.  They look great from straight on, but if I view from the left/right or especially from above, it reminds me of old non-TFT LCD screens years ago that would wash out when you began to turn them sideways.

One other artifact ... while scrolling black text on a white or off-white background, the text turns to a shade of pink, then back to black when I'm finished scrolling.  Is this normal?

This monitor is getting very good reviews and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed any of these problems or is it just me?  Are there any screen and/or videocard adjustments that might help?  I've used large, high-quality CRTs previously and ... although I love the sharpness and clarity of the SP1908FP, I'm not comfortable with the anomalies.

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 29th, 2007 17:00

ras5280,

but if I view from the left/right or especially from above...
* At what angles?

One other artifact ... while scrolling black text on a white or off-white background, the text turns to a shade of pink, then back to black when I'm finished scrolling.
* Press the Menu button
* Down arrow to Brightness
* Press the Menu button
Change Brightness to 60
Change Contrast to 47
* Press the Menu button
* Down arrow to Color Settings
* Press the Menu button
* Choose User Preset
Change Red to 86
Change Green to 85
Change Blue to 84
* Get out of Color Settings an
* Press the Menu button and exit the OSD

That is alot of button pressing. If you want, use softMCCS to adjust them.
* Click here
* On the left by the disk icon, click sofMCCS
* Click Run
* If asked, click Run again
* Click OK
* Check I agree...
* Click Next
* Click Start
* Click OK
* From your desktop, double-click the softMCCS icon
* Scroll down to the Image adjustment section
* Use the left/right slider bar and change -
Luminance (brightness) = 60
Contrast = 47
Red video gain = 86
Green video gain = 85
Blue video gain = 84
* Close the softMCCS box
* Click No to KEEP your changes

1 Rookie

• 

122 Posts

May 29th, 2007 19:00

ChrisM gave calibrating info which should improve things. As for viewing angles, it is a TN panel, therefore Viewing angles are more restricted than on *VA or IPS panels. For example, I got a 1907FPV for my parents. It has a Samsung PVA panel, and much better viewing angles than the 1907FP w TN panel I have at work.

Specifically, with a 19-inch TN, horizontal viewing angles should not present any problem, when viewed from straight ahead at about 22-24 inches or more. The vertical viewing angle is the main weakness of TN panels, even from straight ahead. Looking at a uniform grey screen, for example, one is able to see a darker band move up-and-down the screen just by moving the head/eyes up-and-down.

The 160 degrees spec is optimistic, as it is usually calculated using a 10:1 or 5:1 contrast ratio, which is much less than the screen maximum contrast ratio.

As for the pinkish outlines that appear when scrolling, I have noticed that it is often a consequence of using ClearType in Display Properties/Effects. If you have ClearType enabled, try disabling it to see if it improves things.

9 Posts

May 31st, 2007 17:00

ChrisM,

As BernardPD mentioned, the horizontal viewing angle isn't too much of a problem, only the vertical.  I'm not sure I can give you an exact angle, but it must be less than 160 degrees.  While standing in front of the monitor from a few feet away, as I tend to do if just checking email quickly,  the screen is very difficult to see.  When I sit down (line of sight +/- 20-30 degrees), the screen looks great.  Anyway, thanks to both of you for the info.  I've adjusted brightness, contrast and color on both screens and things do look better.  Factory settings were way too intense, for me anyway.  Turned off ClearType font and I believe that did make the pink scroll go away.  I've since turned it back on, for now anyway, because I think text looks a little better with ClearType enabled.

Thanks again for your help.

:smileyhappy:

6 Posts

June 13th, 2007 19:00

How's the display quality of this monitor?  Is the color vibrant or somewhat muted?

169 Posts

July 15th, 2007 01:00

I'm concerned about this, too.

169 Posts

November 27th, 2007 01:00

It displays fuzzy texts and somewhat muted images. It is easily beaten by the UltraSharp 1908FP.
No Events found!