Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2012 18:00

cannot find Monitor Tool for 3007WFP-HC in Vista

My 3007WFP-HC has been dimming a bit & per the trouble shooting section of the User Guide  - Perform monitor reset is an option.  Problem is I don't know how to do that.

I have installed Vista on a spare partition in the hopes that I can use the Monitor Tool. Ran setup & received an installation complete message however I cannot get the On-Screen Display to appear.  According to the User Guide Touch - or + to activate the on-screen display (OSD).  Touching - or + does nothing more than adjust the brightness, does not bring up an OSD.  Am I doing something wrong?

On another note I was able to attain a level of brightness under Vista touching the + button that I was not able to under Win 7.  The UPS power meter in Win 7 now shows a good deal more energy being used than before & the only thing that changed was the monitor brightness.

thanks

more info:  ATI Radeon HD 4850, the USB cable is connected

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 25th, 2012 20:00

daemoncycler,

Install softMCCS in both OS and see if it allows you to change the brightness.

158 Posts

December 25th, 2012 22:00

Hi Chris,

I do have softMCCS installed & I see a "Restore factory defaults - 0x04" option however I don't think that's the same as a Monitor reset.  Do you?

softMCCS will allow me to adjust the Luminance.  Right now the 3007 monitor is @ full Luminance.  I have pressed the + button on the monitor to max out the brightness there.  I believe they correspond because we have a new Dell U2412M beside the 3 & 1/2 year old 3007WFPHC & the brightness level we have set on the U2412M thru the OSD corresponds to the Luminance level in softMCCS for the U2412M.

If I so chose, could thru the Catalyst Control Center adjust the Brightness (on the 3007) to the point at which it is blaring white & everything illegible.  Of course I am not doing that.  Right now the Catalyst Control Center value for the 3007 is 35 above normal, goes all the way to 100.  So the 3007 is not dead by any means, it still has lots of brightness left in it.  But I don't remember it ever being a strikingly bright monitor.

In order to get the Monitors to match had to turn the brightness on the U2412M down quite a bit & up on the 3007. The U2412M I doubt will ever have the deep colors the 3007 has because the 3007 is a high color monitor but right now they are looking pretty good.  

My concern is each morning upon waking the 3007 is dim for about 3 minutes. It's still bright enough to use & does achieve normal bright & remains that way until sitting unused for long periods of time, like overnight.  According to the User Guide a Monitor Reset might help.  I installed Vista because it was my understanding that the only way to get the Monitor Tool (or OSD) to function was under Vista.  The Monitor Tool did install in Vista but I cannot seem to get the OSD to appear.  Under Win 7 attempting to install the Monitor Tool would result in a "interactive svcs" message.  Also received a msg about incompatibility.

So basically I just wanted to figure out how to perform a Monitor Reset - what could it hurt?  If that doesn't help then I will just use it til it dies & figure out what to do then.  Hopefully that will be a long time.

thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 26th, 2012 08:00

On my 2407WFP, the softMCCS Restore factory defaults and the 2407WFP OSD (On Screen Display) Reset achieve the same settings.

I thought that this Utility Tool (http://dell.to/LHKU8D) although written for Vista did function in Windows 7? But you are stating it does not.

I wonder if the tool is looking for the INF file?
ftp://ftp.dell.com/monitors/DELL_3007WFP-HC_A00-00_R222148.exe

158 Posts

December 26th, 2012 17:00

Hi Chris,

That helped :)  Yes that is the Utility Tool I was referencing - I had been using the one that came with the Monitor.

The LcdOSD on the CD is 349 KB in size.

The one you provided is 763 KB in size?

So I instead downloaded/installed first the INF file & then Utility Tool you provided - no longer receiving the "interactive services" msg.  Thanks for that.

Now have process LcdOSD.exe running & I guess it runs all the time.  When I press the + or - button on the monitor a brightness bar graph appears with what looks like a little sun above it.

However I was expecting something a bit more elaborate - with a reset option.

I did use softMCCS to Restore factory defaults - guess I will see tomorrow morning if that made a difference.

thanks again.

No Events found!