Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 11th, 2008 13:00

monitor locked in power save mode

my E197FP monitor (vista, with dimensionE521 hard drive) is locked in power save mode. I've unplugged everything and powered back up to no avail. My screen is black except the power save message comes up when I hold down the menu button.  Before the lock up: screen seemed to be refreshing when I didn't ask it to and then horizontal lines were frozen on screen. thats then I turned power off on hard drive lower button and power save mode resulted. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your quick response! The monitor passes the test you suggested. What next? 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

cantstandspam,

Does it pass or fail the Monitor Self-Test?
* Turn off the monitor
* Unplug the monitor video cable from the back of the computer
* Turn on the monitor
* The floating red/green/blue/white dialog box should appear on screen against a black background

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 11th, 2008 14:00

cantstandspam,

Then it is your video card driver or the video card itself. What PC model? What video card?

March 11th, 2008 17:00

Dont think the problem is the video card. I followed the instructions of an on line tech support person and it is working again. At least for the time being.

1 Message

March 11th, 2008 17:00

I have this same problem on my 4 day old Inspiron 530 (Vista HP, Radeon 256k card, 22" monitor).  I was typing and then all of the sudden the monitor went into power save and won't come back on.  I have tried everything, but nothing works.  I'm wondering if the entire system just needs to be returned. 

Message Edited by jaydubz on 03-11-2008 01:35 PM

March 11th, 2008 18:00

Go to Dell's on line help. They gave me instructions for trouble shooting. So far what they told me to do worked.  I am concerned that it will only be a temporary fix... but they are calling me back tonight to see if it is working ok now. 

sorry I marked the problem as solved. I don't feel that it is. I am new at this forum and don't know how to uncheck the solved box!  I am so sorry

....only problem with the on line help suggestion... you have to have another computer in the same location to chat with them about the computer that isn't working!   I was glad to have our HP laptop handy for that!

2 Posts

April 29th, 2008 19:00

Hi we are having the same exact problem and we can't seem to fix it. The test thingy did come out though... what else can we do to fic this!? PLEASE HELP!!

2 Posts

April 29th, 2008 19:00

fix* I apologize

July 22nd, 2008 16:00

Hi - I have the same problem with a sp2208wfpt.  Anyone know how to fix yet?

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2009 15:00

I'm having this same Power Save Mode problem with a 2409W monitor on an Inspiron 537S.

So far, at direction of Dell Hardware Support folks, I have reseated the CMOS battery, then the video card (ATI Radeon 4350). That fixed the problem both times.

But then, after rebooting many times, I had a disquieting experience with a very noisy, racing fan. Could this be due to faulty power management? Power supply, maybe? I have no idea, I'm just guessing. Maybe it's an unrelated problem.

Then I used the dual monitor cable they sent me to extend my desktop to a ViewSonic VX2235wm (I installed that monitor/driver successfully last week), and when I reboot I got locked in Power Save Mode again. So I disconnected, reconnected the Dell 2409W only, and the Power Save Mode message disappears.

I did get the image back - but now Windows XP Pro thinks it is the ViewSonic, and lists 2 of them in the Settings dialog box. I reset the resolution from 800x600, and it's working OK, despite the fact that I'm using the 2409W, not the ViewSonic.

I thought this Power Save Mode lock-in might be my just desserts as a habitual early adopter - 537S and 2409 - but since so many others have had this problem I'm wondering if it's a bigger design defect.

But this is my sixth Dell computer, and I have never had this problem before, so I am hesitant to leap to conclusions. I'm just hoping that this posting will tweak other users to add their experiences so maybe this problem can get solved.

2 Posts

May 11th, 2010 11:00

Same problem here with a flat screen LCD monitor (E or EP153FP). I've tried everything I can think of, found some  possible solutions in here that I am going home to try (I'm on a library computer--you ever try working with a screen that stays completely black?? lol)

2 Posts

May 12th, 2010 10:00

HI, as described elsewhere in this forum, I have this same problem with a power save "lock-up" I tried the test you suggested earlier here and got the box you describe. Also, when I click the input button (I believe that's the 4th button from right on my monitor, I get a message reading something like "Power Save mode on. Move mouse or press any key on keyboard to exit power save." If I do that, it doesn't "exit"--the screen remains black.

I've tried several other solutions presented in this forum.

Tech notes: Windows XP OS

IBM tower (uncertain of model & can't check as I can't see anything on screen)--using public computer.

Dell monitor EP153FP ?? (I'm sure of everything except the first "P" there)

Now, you mention to the earlier query that if the monitor passes the Monitor self-test it's the video card driver or video card itself.

So, if that's the case, what do I do? (I'm not very tech-savvy, so please be very basic & even explain where those are on the computer)

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 12th, 2010 11:00

* Power off the PC
* Power off the monitor
* Disconnect the power cord from the monitor
* Disconnect all monitor cords from the PC (USB, DVI, VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI, etc.)
* While disconnected, press and hold the monitor power button down for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the DVI cord to the monitor and to the PC video card
* Reconnect the power cord to the monitor
* Power on the monitor if it does not power on by itself
* Power on the PC
* Press the monitor Input Source Select button and choose DVI. What happens?

No Events found!