Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2011 07:00

Backup of SQL 2008 mirror

Hi.

I've read through the documentation, the NPG and done some search on google, but I find no information about this.

In our case we have two SQL 2008 servers configured in mirror with a witness server. We use NMSQL 5.2.2 module for the backup software and the NetWorker client and server is NetWorker 7.6.1.2.

SQL server A has some active databases and those databases are in mirror on the partner, SQL server B. Also, some databases are the other way around, active on B and in mirror mode on A.

Should both SQL servers be backed up, or only one of them? That is, is it possible to backup a db on SQL server that is active on SQL server B?

Regards,

Johannes

February 25th, 2011 00:00

My understanding is the mirrored database will be in restoring mode so when you try to back them up SQL Server will skip them.  So you would back up both servers but the databases should only back up on the server on which they are active.

144 Posts

February 25th, 2011 03:00

I think you're right David. Both SQL should be backed up. The SQL admin tells me that both SQL server can hold primary copies of a db. And it seems that a db can only be backed up on the SQL server that holds the primary copy. Its not possible to backup the restore mode copy on the mirror server.

But what is you oppinion on backing up the witnes server? Would we ever need a backup of the witnes server? Would it perhaps be easier to reinstall that server and reconfigure in case if that server had a disaster?

We are getting errors on the restore mode db's and it reports it being because of authentication. We have configured the NetWorker Remote Exec Service to run as the SQL admin as well as configure the remote user option on the client resource. But the login is not successfull. I'm trying to figure out why that is.

Johannes

February 25th, 2011 04:00

I'm not entirely sure but I would think as the witness server is there simply to decide whether or not to fail the mirror over backing up the database backups are sufficient to recover your data; however when you do recover both SQL servers since the witness server is (assumed) not present automatic failure will not be possible unless you configure it not to use the witness server or replace the witness server.

February 25th, 2011 04:00

I'm not sure about the userid/password issue but I would suggest first verifying that you can log into SQL with the credentials you are using.

144 Posts

February 25th, 2011 05:00

that's right, the authentication issue was because the user did not have enough privilage on both SQL servers, only one of them.

No Events found!