Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2018 03:00

Best Practice for VTL Migration Networker

Hello Community,

Solution : 1 Master/Storage Node Networker 8.x + Quantum DXi VTL (SAN connexion)

Case : Replace the old VTL on a new one model

I need your help to find the best way in Networker to remove my old VTL and add the new one. In my case i need to keep the label design. All the Data from the old VTL was already replicate. I need to unasign the oldest to add the newest and scan the VTL to keep my media.

How can i do that ?

Cordially ,

263 Posts

March 5th, 2018 07:00

Please explain what you mean when you say:

• "i need to keep the label design."?

If you are referring to the bar code, then this is controlled by the autochanger.  NetWorker just reads bar code

• "All the Data from the old VTL was already replicate."

Replicated?  Meaning?  How does this relate to the new VTL?

• I need to unasign the oldest

In NetWorker, you can just disable the VTL and its drives.  This will stop NetWorker from trying to access this VTL.

• add the newest and scan the VTL to keep my media.

Make sure that the O/S  an see the new VTL and drives.

Then configure this new VTL in NetWorker.

After the VTL is configured, then reset and inventory any VTL volumes that has valid NetWorker label and data.

What type of base enabler code do you have?  Is this capacity based licensing?  How many autochanger licenses to you have?

As for the hardware:

1. ensure you backup the NetWorker Bootstrap
  2. What is the o/s of this backup server?  what is the NetWorker version?
  3. make an online copy of /nsr/res/nsrdb
  4. Run:  inquire
    1. does inquire show the old and new VTL?
    2. If the new VTL is reported in the inquire output, use NMC to scan for new hardware, and then configure.

2 Posts

March 5th, 2018 08:00

Hi Wallace,

Thank you for your reply.

I did not set up this infrastructure.

For the "Label Design", I wanted to know if Networker re-write labels.

By the "replicate", I said that the data of the previous VTL were copied to the new DXi.

I do not yet have the information about the license currently in production. I will try to get it.

Thanks for your help.

I am waiting for the information from the technician who manages the infrastructure.

Cordially.

263 Posts

March 6th, 2018 04:00

"By the "replicate", I said that the data of the previous VTL were copied to the new DXi."

Here, I am assuming that this is an *exact* replica or duplicate.  Not a volume that was cloned by NetWorker.

If the volumes (i.e. virtual tapes) were replicated and "loaded" in the new VTL, then the volumes would be identical to the original copy, and NetWorker should therefore be able to load and read the tape label use the tape.  I equate this to be the same as removing a physical tape from one physical autochanger, and loading it to another autochanger.

"For the "Label Design", I wanted to know if NetWorker re-write labels."

If the virtual tape volumes are identical to the original, then NetWorker would not see any difference and would not know that this is a replicated volume.  So NetWorker should be able to load and mount this replicated volume.

Note: The NetWorker volume label is different that the volume bar code.

The bar code is an optical, machine-readable, representation of data.  This code is is usually imprinted on a piece of paper and placed outside the tape cartridge. The autochanger's bar code reader is used to read this bar code label.  This bar code can be changed by replacing the bar code label.  For a virtual tape... you'll need to look at the VTL manual.

The NetWorker volume label is information that is written in the first 64 KB of the tape itself.  This information is used by NetWorker to identify what this tape is, and it contains information such as:  volume name, volume id, and pool.  This information is read when the volume is mounted and then verified with the NetWorker media database.  If the label matches what is in the media database, then the mount is complete, and it is ready for use.   This label can only be changed by relabeling the volume.

155 Posts

March 8th, 2018 07:00

Have you used node to node replication on DXi VTL, replication all the configuration with data on the new node?

Have you retained the name as that of the old one for the new node?

No Events found!