We have NMM 126.96.36.199.280 amd exchange 2010. We had a DAG with node N1 servicing mailbox MB01, node N2 servicing mailbox
MB02. We could recover mailboxes with no problems.
Now we extended out DAG and added 2 nodes, N3 servicing mailbox MB03 and node N4 servicing mailbox MB04.
We now can only recover mailboxes from MB03 and MB04. We can no longer recover mailboxes from MB01 or MB02.
NMM .. Index retrieve of metadata key failed for index path APPLICATIONS:\...
NMM .. Error 4312 retrieving metadata key for restore APPLICATIONS:\...
Recover process has failed to locate correct logical savetime for requested selections -- error 4312..
The is a knowledge base notes with this error messages and it suggest to update to NM 8.2.x.
But since some recoveries work I don't think this will solve the problem.
It seems to be a problem to extend the DAG and rather update the DAG metadata key.
Can someone help me?
I've seen this error occur when the Client File Index is not properly updated for the date you are trying to restore. It could be occurring if some of the savesets are not marked as 'browsable', or could also occur if certain entries in the index are missing.
Could you confirm that all of the required savesets are listed as Browsable? Depending on the date you are selecting, this would be the most recent Full backup from that time, as well as any subsequent incrementals. The savesets that need to show as Browsable would be the "APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange ###", and "VSS:\". The XML saveset would need to show as at least Recoverable. Let me know if you need a hand with confirming this.
If all of the savesets appear to be browsable, then this may be an issue with the client's index missing certain entries. We can check this by running the following command on the NetWorker Server: "nsrinfo DAG_HOSTNAME > c:\temp\nsrinfo.txt". This will dump the contents of the index to this text file we specify. Once this command finishes, open the text file and find entries for the date that you have chosen for restore. We need to ensure that we see "Metadata KEY" entries for the dates in question. Please see below for an example.
. . . . .
APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010\DB01\, date=1447094642 09/11/2015 2:44:02 PMversion=1, Metadata KEY=3376474476, ,
APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010\DB01\, date=1447094642 09/11/2015 2:44:02 PM
APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010\, date=1447094642 09/11/2015 2:44:02 PMversion=1, Metadata KEY=3376474476, ,
APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010\, date=1447094642 09/11/2015 2:44:02 PM
APPLICATIONS:\, date=1447094642 09/11/2015 2:44:02 PMversion=1, Metadata KEY=3376474476, ,
APPLICATIONS:\, date=1447094642 09/11/2015 2:44:02 PM
/, date=1447094642 09/11/2015 2:44:02 PMversion=1, Metadata KEY=3376474476, ,
/, date=1447094642 09/11/2015 2:44:02 PM
C:\ProgramData\EMC\NetWorker\LG_VSS_CLIENT9134231834.xml, date=1447094633 09/11/2015 2:43:53 PM
F:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\DB02\E02.chk, date=1447092991 09/11/2015 2:16:31 PM
F:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\DB02\E02004004A2.log, date=1447092991 09/11/2015 2:16:31 PM
F:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\DB02\E02004004A3.log, date=1447092991 09/11/2015 2:16:31 PM
. . . . .
If these are in fact missing from your nsrinfo output (for the database in question), then we will need to try a few different steps to re-populate that data. Sometimes the first or second option below doesn't always work, so we may need to resort to the third. We can try the following in the order of easiest to hardest.
1) Recover an index saveset from shortly after the backup date in question (nsrck -L7)
2) Use the 'scanner' command to re-create index entries for the associated VSS:\ saveset (scanner -i)
3) Rename the Client File Index (/nsr/index/DAG_HOSTNAME), use 'scanner' to re-create index entries for the associated VSS:\ saveset, and then recover the most recent index backup to recover the original index information we renamed.
Please let me know if the Metadata KEY values are missing from your output, and I'll provide further details on the above steps to resolve it.
I checked before that all savesets are browsable. I didn't check the metadata key with nsrinfo. I do it now.
Strange that only the new mailbox DBs after we extended the DAG can be recovered.