Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JL

March 8th, 2013 15:00

Changing Hostname and IP of Networker Server 7.6x

Folks,

We have an existing Networker 7.6x server that is also running our anti-virus system - we want to virtualize the server so we don't have to change AV.

It is possible to rename the physical box - does Networker care?

We also will need to change the IP of the server - we are looking to change the IP and the hostname of the existing backup server.

We are planning on connecting the server to a local ADIC.

Can this be done - any thing to worry about?

Thanks in advance.

-John

2.4K Posts

March 8th, 2013 22:00

In general, it is a good idea to split the two functionalities - especially an Anti-Virus program is nothing what should run on a NW server.

Yes - NW in fact will have a major problem with each of it - with respect to the name general and for the IP your licenses could be affected if it runs on Linux. The transfer is possible, but it is a longer prcess.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

March 9th, 2013 04:00

JohnLeonard wrote:

We have an existing Networker 7.6x server that is also running our anti-virus system - we want to virtualize the server so we don't have to change AV.

It is possible to rename the physical box - does Networker care?

We also will need to change the IP of the server - we are looking to change the IP and the hostname of the existing backup server.

We are planning on connecting the server to a local ADIC.

Can this be done - any thing to worry about?

- It is possible to rename it, but NetWorker will care and complain.  Name is one of identifiers and if name is changed you may break thing or two.

- Same applies to IP (note that you will need to do license transfer)

- Adding PTL to VM is something I have no experience with - I know that latest vSphere supports it, but not sure how much mature it is

In documentation and knowledge base, there are several migration/rename articles which should help you with your task.

2 Intern

• 

326 Posts

March 10th, 2013 18:00

looks like you are going to connect backup server-vm direct to adic? i think the vm virtualization/encapsulation layer path to access direct tape path isnt 100% or matured yet? if you split vm-backup server and sn-physical then no probs..

No Events found!