Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2012 04:00

EMC Backup for Windows

First: Sorry if i place this questio nthe wrong place. I cannot find a proper forum for EMC Backup.

I desperately need your help.

I've now spent 2 hours searching the internet - with no luck - for information regarding:

EMC Backup for Windows 4 (4.1)
and
EMC Backup for Windows 3 (3.7)

I'm helping a customer with finding the background material for a "Software License Compliacne Report".
To that end I have to find out if installed software is "freeware / bundled 'or' Commercial '(ie there must be proof of purchase / it costs a price).

I identify software and put it in the database for the client who can then run a report in a SAM system so they can find out if they have enough licenses or whether they should buy some more.

But I simply can not find any info about these two software applikations/installations.

1) So I ask you now: Are they :

'Freeware / bundled'
or
'Commercial'

2) Do you have anything on the release date for them?

I sincerely hope you can help me further with this difficult product.

May 23rd, 2012 06:00

Currently supported Avamar clients include 3.7 and 4.1 so it does look like you have Avamar.  As far as I am aware Avamar is licensed on the Avamar appliance on a capacity basis and you can run as many clients as you wish as long as the total capacity of the backup is not exceeded but you may want to have someone in EMC confirm this.

May 23rd, 2012 05:00

From the information you have given these appear to be non-existant applications.  These are not going to be Networker as EMC acquired the product with version 7, about 10 years back.  Versions 3 and 4 probably date from 15-20 years ago.  EMC owned another backup product for a few years, Dantz which was aimed at small customers, but I believe they owned that versions 7 through 9 so again unlikely to be that again.  There is a possibility it is an old version of EMC Avamar but again I'm not sure if EMC owned a version of it as far back as 3.7.

Perhaps you could give some details of the executable that you run, creation date etc.

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 05:00

Hello,

I am sory but title and version number is all that is uploaded to me from customers. I do not have access nor means to look in their PC.

However, under manufacturer it does say: 'EMC Avamar Irvine'

The complete version number for one of the is: 4.1.101.340.

I can see that the customer also has this installed:

Backup for Windows x64 Editions 'EMC Avamar Irvine'

Avamar System State Backup x64 Edition 'EMC Avamar Irvine'

Is it possible then that it is Avamar backup I should search for and not EMC backup in connection with the applications mentioned in first section?

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 07:00

Thank you for getting me on the right track. I can see that I have focused too much on "EMC".

No Events found!