Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2007 19:00

Fail to back up all save set, but no problem when copy individual drive

Dear all,

I'm using Networker 7.2.2 build 422 on Windows 2003 Std. Ed. SP1, tape drive is a Dell Powervault 104T with LTO3 tape. I found that whenever I backup the system with save set "all", I/O error happens during the backup of ASR saveset.
If I manually recycle the same tape, it works in the 1st try but failed in the 2nd try.
However, if I just set the save set to "C:\ D:\", there's no problem all all (10 out of 10 success).

I would like to ask does anyone has come across this problem or I can't use the save set "all" for the 2003 server to backup itself? Thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Danny

2K Posts

March 21st, 2007 20:00

Yes,

I have seen this with only Dell LTO drives.

Set the group parallelism to 1 & set the save sets as C:, D: etc. rather than using ALL as save set.

I have seen this normally while backing up SYSTEM DB:.

March 21st, 2007 23:00

Thanks a lot Anuj!
I never expect there are difference between dell and ibm drive as it is really the same IBM LTO Ultrium3 tapedrive inside...

cheers,
danny

2K Posts

March 22nd, 2007 01:00

Even I never thought that and support could figure out but then when I backed up one save set at a time, I could guess this resolves the problem.

Even if you use ibm drivers for DELL drives, it still fails like this only.

(Please Mark correct for the earlier response)

March 22nd, 2007 18:00

right, I've tried different combination.
Indeed there's a tape diagnostics from dell call xtalk, I tried it couple of time and it keeps fail in the test. I've called the dell engineer and he has changed everything, but the result is the same. Later they said the program doesn't support LTO-3 and they have no other tool to test. I din't tried the ibm test tool yet.

Nevertheless, after I set the parallelism to 1, the "all" saveset works pretty well (6 out of 6 success).

2K Posts

March 27th, 2007 02:00

Even in my case, they replaced the drive but it did not help.
No Events found!