Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 8th, 2015 01:00

Group based cloning does not clone everything

In Networker 8.1.1.9 with DD as storage device I configured group to backup VM and to clone it to another DD. Backups within group are successful, but on random basis, only bootstrap and index saveset are cloned, while VM backup saveset is not.

Need to define and run independent clone task to clone it later.

What's even more misguiding, group completion status is green, still in detailed report it says that only 2 savesets which were backed up (bootstrap and index) were cloned.

As stated - this issue occurs in same of group executions.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

January 8th, 2015 02:00

Is there any error in the daemon.raw files regarding the clones failing ?

19 Posts

January 8th, 2015 03:00

Nothing explicitly related to cloning, just success of backup session, then success of group (while it should clone data between these).

But I can spot something like this around time cloning should run:

nsrexecd GSS warning The request by backup_server to authenticate 'SYSTEM/backup_server@NT AUTHORITY' was unsuccessful because the session information (number 0:1cbfaf) has expired and is no longer valid

Cannot say if it is related to cloning, but in case it is looks like some timeout/firewall session issue.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 8th, 2015 07:00

Go to /nsr/logs/sg/ and check cloning log there (usually last one for given session).

19 Posts

January 9th, 2015 00:00

There is same what I san see in "Group Details"/clone's "Show Messages"/"Get Client Log" window: it apparently does not even attempt to clone some savesets, despite these were backed up within group and "Clone" box is checked - so no trace about these missed clones in logs. And in each group execution different savesets are missed form cloning.

Guess I need to apply latest patch and raise case about that.

19 Posts

January 9th, 2015 01:00

Tested these 2 modes, problem occures in both cases. I tend to use "start on save set completion" in order not to wait with cloning until group completion.

I'd rather stay with with group based cloning, having in mind all drawbacks you mentioned. Would like to have backups cloned offsite as soon as possible.

Until problem is solved I use independent clone task to gather all savesets not cloned on group executions and send them to another DD.

2.4K Posts

January 9th, 2015 01:00

I cannot see the reason why automatic clones will not work.

It could also be that the result depends on the 'clone mode' settings:

- start on group completion                    or

- start on save set completion

On the other way - I do not recommend it. At least not 'start on group completion'.

The major issue is that the group will simply run to long. Even if there is a problem with the backup, you need to wait until the group has finished before you can retry it. So you might lose time here.

What we do is that we run daily scripts where we clone the save sets which only have one valid copy.

So we control what shall be cloned. May i suggest this solution.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 9th, 2015 02:00

I think this is version code specific issue.  I run this setup with 8.0.4.x and see no issue.  Parallel cloning which is introduced there (and part of 8.1.1.6 and later) does speed up cloning a lot even if you run it after group completion.

No Events found!