Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2011 07:00

Hostname Resolution Failed - Windows Cluster Client

Hi all - I am having a problem with a Windows cluster client not backing up - here is the background info:

Networker 7.6 SP1 server running on Linux

Networker 7.6 SP1 client running on 2 Windows 2008 server cluster nodes, local filesystem backups working fine

Cluster client set up in Networker client with name of Windows cluster

Daily backups of cluster client fail with "hostname resolution failed"

I putty'd into the networker server and was able to do an nslookup for the cluster name and was able to ping the name with or without the FQDN

I have other Windows cluster backups set up and working fine (they are 2003 clusters, but it should be the same set up) - any ideas?  Thanks!

John

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2012 06:00

I found the issue for this - there was no PTR record for the cluster name, so even though I could resolve the hostname with a forward lookup, I couldn't with a reverse lookup.  Once I added a PTR record for the cluster name, it worked fine.  Thanks!

December 26th, 2011 02:00

Hi John,

The issue you are facing  might be due to the host file being corrupted . for more information related to hostname resolution issue , please refer this kb article for mroe information .

https://community.emc.com/message/582902?tstart=0#582902

Please let me know if you have further queries.

Thank you

Vishwanath K

6 Posts

December 27th, 2011 05:00

Thank you for your response, but that link keeps taking me back to this page - what is the kb article?

December 27th, 2011 06:00

Hello,

The Kb article I was informing you to refer is

http://solutions.emc.com/EMCSolutionView.asp?id=esg93245&usertype=C

Can you please let me know the  full error message, you are getting for the cluster client backup failure .

Thank you,

Vishwanath K

268 Posts

December 30th, 2011 11:00

Make sure you have created client name with short name. (dont use FQDN for cluster client)

Make sure you have added short name, all FQDNs in the alise list of client configuration. Also add ipadress of the virtual client in the aliase list.

Try a client side backup,

From your desktop connect to virtual client using remote desktop (mstsc).

Go to Start > run > winworkr.

Select any file or folder which you see under the virtual client and run backup. See if it works fine.

No Events found!