Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2013 08:00

How to backup a Windows Server 2012 Cluster client?

What steps are necessary to configure and backup a Windows Server 2012 pair of physical servers configured as a cluster with shared storage?  Only the active node lists the external storage in Computer, Hard Drives.   It appears I can back it up manually from the client but when the Server initiated backup is not seeing the shared storage.  (NOTE:  This is just with the client installed on the C: drive of each and no further configuration).

I've installed the Networker 8.0.2.0 Build 235 client on the C: drives of the two nodes.

I tried running the C:\Program Files\EMC_Networker\nsr\bin\lc_config.exe but got the folllowing error:

"Clustering software is not installed or is not configured properly.

Exiting NetWorker cluster setup."

(Nothing was added to the HOSTS file at this point).

Per the docu41426_NetWorker-8.0-Cluster-Installation-Guide.pdf documentation, page 31 indicates I need to add the 'virtual hostnames to the hosts file on each cluster node'.  Is the 'Cluster' name considered the Virtual Host?  Or how do I determine it?

Any other steps or documentation specific to Windows Server 2012 clusters as a client? (not as the network server).

Thanks,

Jimmy Ray

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 20th, 2013 12:00

If this is client, then I doubt you have shared nsr (no need for that).  You would have NSR installed on each physical machine and you would define backup for each.  In cluster configuration you will find cluster resources and associate IP with those. Corresponding name to that IP will be your virtual client which you also define (make sure it has both physical client on remote access list).  And that's it.  To verify it picks up proper volumes (when using saveset All), go to active node and run:

savefs -s -c -vpn

savefs -s -c -vpn

savefs should in first case return volumes which are local (not owned by cluster) and in second case volumes owned by cluster resource group where belongs to. It is also recommended that you use save -c as backup command for virtual client NSR resource.

No Events found!