Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2011 07:00

Indexes saved against a different client

I have an unusual issue which someone may be able to suggest an explanation for.

I have been writing a DPA report to report on clients whose last full backup occured before a specified date.  One thing this returned was most indexes on the server appeared to have not been backed up for a long time (at level full).  After further investigation it turned out that the client for these backups was not the backup server, nor the actual client itself but a completely unrelated client, also that they all occured at a similar time 03/09/10 to 05/09/10.

I verified this information with mminfo and it was identical so it is not down to DPA issues/corruption.  I have ran nsrck -L6 clientname against the client which has had no impact on the issue. Also index backups seem to have otherwise registered against the correct client.

Does anyone have any suggestion what is causing his?

736 Posts

January 13th, 2011 02:00

Hi David,

My guess would be name resolution confusion between these two machines at that time:

I did a test here and while putting the name of client (hotrod) in the hosts file before the name of the server itself (aude):

10.73.85.49 hotrod aude aude.corp.emc.com

then running a savegrp -O of a group gives

mminfo -q name=index:aude -r savetime,client,name,level,totalsize -ot

1/13/2011 hotrod    index:aude                      full   13853020

It has saved the index of the server under the client-name that corresponds to a different client.  If I remove the word 'hotrod' from the hosts file, this will backup the server's index under it's own name as normal.  This (or some similar name-resolution issue) would look like the most likely culprit.

-Bobby

January 15th, 2011 04:00

Thanks Bobby, I suspected it would be something like that but it seems very unusual it just happened for one day but perhaps there was an issue that was spotted and resolved that day.

So to resolve this what would you think is the best action?  I would be concerned that these backups may be useless or would need a workaround to restore them (they are several months old so are less likely to require restoring) but I would like to ensure they don't come up in my report every time; I have put in a clause in the report to remove any entries from this client with index in but that seems a little clumsy.

736 Posts

January 20th, 2011 00:00

Hi David,

yes, this would affect restore operations as the data and the index are going to be saved under the wrong client name.  The data is all recoverable but won't be shown for the correct client, so it will appear like it's not there.    The most likely cause would be someone putting an incorrect entry in somewhere, so it shouldn't happen again and shouldn't affect  your reports beyond what you have already spotted.  If it does crop up again, you'll need to investigate what changes in the system could be causing this.

-Bobby

January 20th, 2011 01:00

Thanks Bobby.  It seems to be a one off occurence which happened several months back so hopefully this is not a long term issue.

No Events found!