Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 7th, 2014 22:00

Is the backup account required to be Domain Admin account for FLR / Module backups in Networker ?

Is the backup account required to be Domain Admin account for FLR/Module backups in Networker ?

If not, Does it have any impact on the recoveries ?

I am using Networker 8.0, with Backup account currently as a Domain Account but there are talks to remove it from the Domain priviledges.

We are backing up Exchange and SQL through modules, will it have any affect on these (Backup/Restore)

When not supplying any account name in Remote User and Passwords, what is the default account taken for backups ?

142 Posts

April 8th, 2014 07:00

You should be local admin and if you are also backing up Exchange and SQL then have the backup service account privileges of Exchange Organization Management Group and sysadmin respectivley. I have seen that for backups you should be a local admin anf if you are backing up an application then you would also require highest level of privileges on that application (at least it is true for Exchange and SQL). I do not think there will be a problem if your domain admin access is replaced with local admin. I had exactly the same case, i followed the above, nothing has fallen both during backup and restore, so it should work for you as well.

I am not sure about your second question.

Regards

tech88kur

April 9th, 2014 01:00

Thanks for the input tech88kur. Hrvoje Crvelin  Your suggestions on the above query wud be highly appreciated.  Also wud like to know :

"When not supplying any account name in Remote User and Passwords, what is the default account taken for backups ?"

142 Posts

April 9th, 2014 02:00

backupabhishek - the nsrd, nsrexecd run under local system account and as such they should not require any account while backing up, I guess the communication happens via RPC and between all that there is no account being used, backupabhishek I am guessing too much, in any case listen to what Hrvoje is saying

Regards

tech88kur

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 9th, 2014 02:00

I don't use users to backup DB (except Oracle on UNIX).  Such user is relevant to DB, but not DD.  I see no connection between these two so I would say it is not needed.

142 Posts

April 9th, 2014 03:00

backupabhishek I will further add this is true for FLR but for SQL 2012 you explicitly need to mention an account on nsr server in client resources, similarly while installing NMM for Exchange, you would require to give the credentials of a service account; in case of NMM the credentials are used for RMAgentPS service, nsrexecd and nsrpsd still run with local system account on all the clients.

So I think the accounts do not come into picture while backups...

Regards

tech88kur

142 Posts

April 9th, 2014 03:00

Hrvoje - I was reading NMM 2.4 Installation Guide, I came across the following "

You must create an NMM backup user account, NMMBackupUser, so that NMM has

sufficient Exchange and administrator privileges to perform all backup, browse, and

restore operations.

"

After all the recent discussions I have started to wonder that if the services are run through local system account then where and how are the configured accounts used? Would it be possible for you to give a flow of steps involved and the accounts used/involved.

Regards

tech88kur

3 Posts

April 9th, 2014 04:00

I am not That Hrvoje.. Sorry but i cant help you.

Regards,

Hrvoje

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 9th, 2014 04:00

That is user for access Exchange DB.  On UNIX, you I do similar with Oracle except that I do not need to use NW client resource, but I configure user in NMDA config file.  You can't have that flexibility on Windows so you define user with proper rights for Exchange. I'm not sure about security model Exchange uses these days, but I'm quite sure that one can open a hole and have local system account work with it if some changes are done in Exchange (was possible in past, but perhaps nowadays MS does no longer allow it).  I admit I originally misread title and thought user for Data Domain was discussed (capital domain confused me) With Exchange I have seen local and and domain users being used, but at one our location we use only local account (however NMM version is not the same as we use older code which didn't had FLR).  Based on your quote, I see no reason why local user would not work.

April 9th, 2014 06:00

Great.!Thanks tech88kurHrvoje Crvelin That looks like the Local user would be good to go, but one more query that i am curios about "When not supplying any account name in Remote User and Passwords, what is the default account taken for backups ?"

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 9th, 2014 06:00

It is done via local authority user.  It is not strictly a user, but more admin privilege on the box (usually default for running most of the services). For example, I use this with SQL backups and it works fine as long as system admin is added to SQL admin list.  In SQL 2012 that is not default so you must do it.  Probably the same in 2014.  Exchange I believe has a bit more complex access rights so this is the reason why you must use user with well defined rights used for backup (and restore) operations.

142 Posts

April 9th, 2014 07:00

Hrvoje Crvelin - i am confused, I just saw the NMM installation guide, while installation nowhere are the credentials given for nsr service account then how is it ensured that the nsr service accounts created are the ones which are used, I have re-viewed the SQL and NMM installation/configuration as well, I do not find how the service accounts are being used, though the guides do mention the required privileges.................am i missing something basic...............are you getting my question. My question is regarding the account used for backups.

Regards

tech88kur

142 Posts

April 9th, 2014 08:00

Thanks Hrvoje - the link gives good explanation and answers my doubt

Regards

tech88kur

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

April 9th, 2014 08:00

My previous answer was targeting your previous question.  You asked what user it is when no user is specified.  Check:

LocalSystem Account (Windows)

No Events found!