Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2017 13:00

Looking for a command to set all savesets of a certain age to "recyclable"

Networker 8.2.3.4 on Windows 2012r2

DDOS

Hi all,

I have been working with EMC to obtain more datadomain shelves, but cutting through red tape with my company is taking a very long time, and now I am against a well. I have already shorted retention, and now I am faced with removing existing data to allow space for newer backups. We have so many volume pools, that the process is taking me a very long time. Dedupe works so well, I have already cleared hundreds of thousands of savesets, but only gained a couple TB's.

What i am doing is this method....

First, i am generating my list of SSIDs from each each disk volume, and creating my ssid.txt file. Then i run  ">for /f %A in (ssid.txt) do @nsrmm -e 04/25/17 -w 04/24/17 -o recyclable -y -S %A", which sets those savesets as recyclable. Once that command finally completes, I run nsrim -X which starts the process or removing that data, ultimately creating new cleanable datadomain space.

What I am interest in is if there is a command based on this one (>for /f %A in (ssid.txt) do @nsrmm -e 04/25/17 -w 04/24/17 -o recyclable -y -S %A), but instead of referencing an ssid.txt file, can instead reference any savesets, say, over 4 weeks old, for example?

2.4K Posts

April 25th, 2017 13:00

No - such command does not exist. The method is always a 2-step procedure:

1. Determine the appropriate SSIDs

2. Set these save sets to recyclable or delete them right away (nsrmm -y -d -S )

However, if you are sure that you can get rid of all save sets of a volume, you can simply relable it.

18 Posts

April 25th, 2017 14:00

Hello,

You can for-in-do loop with the mminfo command and nsrmm -o recyclable. I must caveat, use at your own peril.

The goal is everything on the data domain that is 4 weeks and older:

mminfo -avot -q "type=Data Domain,savetime<4 weeks ago" | more

Oldest stuff at the top.

mminfo -avoRt -q "type=Data Domain,savetime<4 weeks ago" | more

Newest stuff at the top. If this checks out, and is the information you want cleaned up... If it includes clones you want to keep then replace type=Data Domain with volume=

On to the for-in-do loop:

(1) cd to where NetWorker is installed. Otherwise it will complain "The system cannot find the file" mminfo.

(2) the usebackq is for the graves accent that encloses the mminfo command that will be run

(3) there is a space in Data Domain therefore type is enclosed in single quote marks

(4) there is no need to adjust retention nor browse

(5) the nsrmm will return nothing back, hence the @echo to track which ssid is being worked.

for /f "usebackq" %A in (`mminfo -avoRt -q "'type=Data Domain',savetime<4 weeks ago" -r ssid`) do @echo %A & (nsrmm.exe -S %A -o recyclable -y)

FANCIER, route the output to a file and run mminfo on the save set after it was posted

for /f "usebackq" %A in (`mminfo -avoRt -q "'type=Data Domain',savetime<4 weeks ago" -r ssid`) do @echo ---- %A ---- >> ..\logs\nsrmm.recyclable.txt & (nsrmm.exe -S %A -o recyclable -y) & (mminfo -avot -q ssid=%A >> ..\logs\nsrmm.recyclable.txt)

to flip them back to not recyclable

D:\ nsr\bin>for /f "usebackq" %A in (`mminfo.exe -avot -q "type='Data Domain',savetime>4 weeks ago" -xc/ -r "ssid,cloneid"`) do @echo ---- %A ---- >> ..\logs\nsrmm.recyclable.txt & (nsrmm -o notrecyclable -S %A -y) & (mminfo -avot -q ssid=%A >> ..\logs\nsrmm.recyclable.txt)

If ssid,cloneid is not enclosed in double quotes "no matches found for query" is returned.

Be very careful with copy paste with double quotes, formatting will result in errors if “” are used and not ""

Kind regards,

David.

2 Intern

• 

146 Posts

May 1st, 2017 13:00

I wasnt confident that I would not adversely cause issues by trying what I originally set out to do, so I did go ahead and go through each disk volume, and made a huge list of all data over 4weeks. I ran the command to set them as recyclable, and then ran nsrim -X. Then, I need to drop retention levels back by one week.

18 Posts

May 1st, 2017 14:00

Toddman214,

Are you looking to implement a one week browse / retention on save sets moving forward? If so, this can be done through the client resource and setting the Browse policy and Retention policy to 1 week.

If you are looking to change the browse and retention periods of save sets in the media data base to one week nsrmm can be used there are quite a few Knowledge Articles (KA's) on how to

https://support.emc.com/kb/323095

A for-do-in loop example is available at

https://support.emc.com/kb/468821

If this has answered the request, do not hesitate to mark answered.

Thanks,

David.

No Events found!