Unsolved

P

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

February 20th, 2022 21:00

Moving Physical tape copy to offsite location using networker

Dear All,

We do take backup from Data Domain to a physical tape media. Here I would like to understand if there is a way to get a list of tapes which are fully written and we can eject those tapes then move it to offsite location for safe storage. Once those tapes nears Expiry and bring back those tapes to the Tape drives.

Is there a way to achieve this from networker ? Is there a kind of script that we can run every day to achieve this ?

2.4K Posts

February 21st, 2022 03:00

Sure - use mminfo at its best, like

mminfo -q "family=tape,full,locations=your_jukebox" -r "volume" [-on]

you can also store the volume tapes in a file and prepare another command (nsrjb) to export them already to the cap(s).

To report expired tapes, just modify the command appropriately

mminfo -q "family=tape,volrecycle" -r "volume" [-on]

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

February 22nd, 2022 01:00

To rotate the tape between tape drive and offsite location. What are the steps taken

1 ) Do we list the tapes based on expiry or full ?

2 ) Do we eject the tapes which are marked as full ?

3 ) Does the Networker keeps a record of all the tapes stored in Offsite location and recall them once they reach 'scratch' status ?

Please share your best practice for rotating the physical tape between tape drive and offsite.

2.4K Posts

February 22nd, 2022 02:00

1 ) Do we list the tapes based on expiry or full ?

This of course is absolute your decision - of course a non-full tape can expire as well. So I would go for the expiration date.

2 ) Do we eject the tapes which are marked as full ?

??? - again, this is your decision.

3 ) Does the Networker keeps a record of all the tapes stored in Offsite location and recall them once they reach 'scratch' status ?

No. May I suggest that you (automatically) run a script once a week which will report those tapes.

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

February 22nd, 2022 19:00

Apology for the dummy questions. I am pretty new to networker

so this ran this command  mminfo -q "family=tape,volrecycle" -r "volume" -on but it reports both FULL and Recyclable status together. Could you please help me with the exact command to list only expired ?

Please help me with the script which reports offsite location status ?

2.4K Posts

February 23rd, 2022 02:00

The reason that your report shows full tapes is most likely due to the fact that your tapes in fact have been filled. But who else does this know better than you? - You can modify your query (mminfo -q) by adding more criteria to verify that. For example, for full tapes:

mminfo -q "family=tape,volrecycle,full" -r "volume" [-on]

or for non-full tapes:

mminfo -q "family=tape,volrecycle,!full" -r "volume" [-on]

You better learn how to use these commands, especially mminfo - you will need it. And you will love it once you got used to it.

You most likely have never used scripts, correct? - a script is nothing else but a sequence of commands which either use standard OS commands or those of a scripting language. In your case it could simply be a 2-liner containing an

mminfo ....                          command followed by a

nsrjb ....                           command.

Despite the fact that you should not expect a perfect solution (do not forget that other users are getting paid for that) - as long as you do not specify your environment, how do you expect someone to help precisely? - he will most likely fail.

No Events found!