Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2016 11:00

NMM 9.0.1 SQL VDI Backup configuration

I have an SQL Server 2016 AlwaysOn Cluster.

NMM 9.0.1 is installed.

Server is 8.2.3.1

I have the dummy clients setup.  I have the cluster listener setup.  I have tried putting in for the backup command

nsrsqlsv.exe -Aserver.fqdn

and

nsrsqlsv.exe -A server.fqdn

If I specify remote user as domain\\user I get permission denied.  If I specify user as domain\user or domain@user or user it fails saying "invalid SQL virtual server name server.fqdn" and "Invalid option -A".  The user is dbo for all databases.

The group is not set for snapshots.

What am I missing?

68 Posts

September 28th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

have you tried to configure the client ressource with the wizard?

I don't know if -A is necessary when doing a federated backup.

Does the users (nmmuser+ NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM) have dbcreator, public and sysadmin permissions in SQL?

Is the NMM user in the local admin and backup operators group?

3 Posts

September 28th, 2016 07:00

I added those permissions.  Removed the -A (the documentation is confusing as it is specified for the cluster backup, but not for the federated, although it is mentioned...  Basically looks like a bad cut and paste job).  The wizard would fail, which was not surprising as the documentation said I needed to do so manually when using NMM9 with server 8.2.3.  I then down graded the NMM to 8.2.3, along with the client software.  Server remains at 8.2.3.

I'm not a bit further, however the error I get now is "Usupported saveset specified".  I am trying to backup "MSSQL#sql-ag1".  This _seems_ to be appropriate according to documentation for nmm 8.2 SP sql VDI users's guide.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 28th, 2016 12:00

I use NMM 8.2.x for it.  I create cluster client and in backup command I only use -c .  SSID points to AoAG name and that works.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 28th, 2016 13:00

"Usupported saveset specified" is something, if I recall correctly, which is even documented and has to do with how you called your client (hostname vs FQDN).  I believe I had the same and had to use short name instead.

No Events found!