Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2012 06:00

NMM snapshot workflow on the Client/Exchange side?

Hello NW Gurus,

In order to get better understanding of NMM, I just tried to make some kind of graphical overview what happens on the client side during the backup of
Exchange 2010 DAG ( “serverles” snapshot policy). Unfortunately, I couldn’t find almost anything useful in the NMM documentation about this.
What I am looking is something similar to this explanation but only related to NMM backup process http://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg68364

I hope you  can help to complete this workflow related to DAG backup of passive DBs, with serverless snapshot policy
(Backup with use of non-persistent snapshots / retain snapshot value is set to zero.)

1. savegrp starts nsrsnap
  2. nsrsnap tells to nsrnap_vss_save to create snapshot
  3. nsrnap_vss_save calls VSS provider to create snapshot
  4. VSS writer (Replication Writer) creates shadow copy
  5. nsrnap_vss_save mounts shadow copy  ???
  6. ???
  7. nsrnap_vss_save starts nsrsnapck to validate created shadow copy 
  8. nsrnap_vss_save (or nsrexecd ??) sends data and Info about used backup criteria to backup server
  9. nsrnap_vss_save  commits snapshot as successful and triggers Exchange to truncate the logs
  10. nsrnap_vss_save calss nsrsnapck to delete created shadow copy
  11. nsrnap_vss_save sends the completion status to nsrsnap, including the savetimes for the Exchange savesets
  12. nsrsnap returns final status to savegrp

This is only my understanding how NMM works,  can you pls. provide more hints/corrections how the NMM works??

How about step 6, since it is DAG passive backup so the consistency check is skipped??

Thanks & Regards

79 Posts

September 10th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

There are three services which are responsible for backing up Exchange DB in NMM.

1)NetWorker PowerSnap Service (nsrpsd)

2)NetWorker Remote Exec Service (nsrexecd)

3)Replication Manager Client for RMAgentPS (irccd)

Backup workflow.

1)Savegrp contacts  nsrexecd and spawns nsr_snap

2)nsr_snap, looks at snapshot policy and delete any expired snapshot as per policy.

3)nsr_snap invokes nsrsnap_vss_save

4)next it will finds information about all the writers on the exchange client.

5)It will looks at the save set to be backed up

6)Saveset details passed to replication manager

7)Replication manager will create a Snapshot.

8) Once the snapshot is created, it gets imported in PowerSnap which is responsible for rolling it over to the tape.

9) Once the backup completed successfully, it will ask exchange to truncate the logs.

Regards

Panwar

47 Posts

September 14th, 2012 08:00

Hello Panwar,

Thank you for your support.

Regards

122 Posts

December 13th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

in case of DAg (federated backup) the steps are not complete. The nsrsnap_vss_save talk to the DAG and get all members.

after this it generates backup commands for every member and spawn these. Now these backup commands start the replication.....

No Events found!