Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2017 05:00

NSR_SAVESET_RETENTION

Hi

For the first time we are trying to configure a SAP HANA backup to Networker.  These will be scheduled and run from HANA studio.

We have it working ok  .  But what I'm not sure is , we have left NSR_SAVESET_RETENTION as the default , so what controls how long the backups will be retained for ?  My SAP Basis colleague tells me there are no retention settings in HANA studio.

As these are manual backups from studio, there is no protection group in place on the Networker server for this.

If I set NSR_SAVESET_RETENTION :  what format does it require ?  For example , how would I set a 35 day retention

Thanks

2.4K Posts

September 18th, 2017 09:00

Nope - if you specify a retention along with the backup command, you must set an absolute date, not a relative period.

This is stated in the NW/SAP 8.2 Admin Guide. It is also the case for a standard file backup (save/savegrp).

For the format, please see the nsr_getdate manpage (for example 'mm/dd/yyyy').

September 22nd, 2017 06:00

Ok thanks for that.

So if we don't set NSR_SAVESET_RETENTION,  what controls the retention of the HANA savesets  ?

If I examine the savesets, the clone retention is showing as two months but I don't know where its getting that from.

The client also does filesystem backups with a protection group/workflow that has 2 months set as retention, but I would think that is separate to the HANA data

Thanks

2.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2017 21:00

In general you have 3 possibilities to determine/manage retention:

- Generally for each client, before the backup, if you use the default retention (time) policy.

Of course you may change it. But yes, there is a value.

- At the time of the backup if you run the save/savegrp command by using the appropriate command line parameters.

- After the backup by correcting each save set entry in the media db individually (nsrmm).

I do not work with SAP HANA but I assume that NSR_SAVESET_RETENTION apllies to the second method.

No Events found!