Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2012 07:00

NetWorker 8.0 GA: Tell us what you think/GET A GIFT!

EMC NetWorker 8.0

Built for Backup Transformation

40676_620_426_cache.jpg

Launched July 10th and made Generally Available on August 10th, the new EMC NetWorker 8.0 centralizes, automates, and accelerates backup and recovery and is available for download. Improvements to NetWorker include:

• Increased performance and scalability
  • Deeper integration with Data Domain
  • Expanded enterprise application support
  • Enhanced management and security

Join the celebration by telling us about what excites you most about the new Networker!  If you didn't see the announcement, check out the 'What's New' deck here.  Respond here with your opinion AND send your mailing address to networkercommunity@emc.com to receive a special gift for your involvement!

1 Attachment

334 Posts

August 21st, 2012 20:00

Installed mine today!  KLX250 dual sport.. I'll see how long I can go before I get pulled over by the locals.. :-)  Would also look good sitting on most desks.  Make sure you reply and let us know what you think and get your address to networkercommunity@emc.com to receive your plate...

bike.JPG

glamour shot

bike2.JPG

10 Posts

August 22nd, 2012 07:00

NetWorker 8 equals to speed, which is greatly needed as the number of backup sources and amount of data is continously increasing. But not just in terms of data transfer thanks to the enhanced ddboost support, but also the administrative interface that improves visibility and manageability. Built for the future, not just today. Great work!

2 Intern

• 

326 Posts

August 27th, 2012 19:00

Not upgrading yet...probably would wait for SP1

Would be great if there is a white paper or best practices about Multi Tenancy

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 29th, 2012 01:00

So looking forward to put my hands on the new NW 8! way to go EMC!

19 Posts

August 29th, 2012 05:00

As much as I would love to install NW 8.0 I will not until it has been GA for at least 6 months.  I cannot afford to spend countless hours with EMC support to get issues resolved.  Our shop is just too big for that kind of downtime.

I am however going to upgrade to the NW 8.0 SN and DSN in at least one of my environments. 

I would like to see a document stating how much CPU/RAM is required by the new NetWorker 8 server on a per client basis. 

If I have 100 clients I need X GB of RAM and Y number of CPUs.

If I have 1000 clients I need X  GB of RAM and Y number of CPUs.

If I have 10,000 clients I need X  GB of RAM and Y number of CPUs.

This would help us to properly size the networker server(s) in the environment.

We are now entering into a backup world where we have PB of data.  We need not only faster backups but faster recovery options.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 31st, 2012 04:00

I like in particular the option to perform direct backups from individual clients to DD using DD Boost - I believe this will really have a positive impact on backup and recovery strategies.

Additionally the multi-tenancy feature is great in today's cost-center-centric IT infrastructures.

21 Posts

September 18th, 2012 08:00

Hope you all are enjoying your new gift!  For those of you who are shy about sharing your thoughts, or haven't had time to learn about all the great new features of NetWorker 8.0, don't hesitate to check out the PowerPoint file attached to the regular post.

Would love to see some photos shared here from those of you who are ACCLR8'ing with the new NetWorker and have received your license plate memento from the launch! 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 18th, 2012 14:00

The plate is on my desk and reminds me mentioning the great features of NW8 everytime I talk to a customer or partner

Fot1o.JPG

2 Intern

• 

326 Posts

September 18th, 2012 14:00

Hello...didn't get any gifts...

21 Posts

September 20th, 2012 10:00

Did you send your mailing information (including phone number, pls.) to NetWorkerCommunity@emc.com?  When you do - voila! 

75 Posts

September 27th, 2012 00:00

I think it looks very promising, I posted on the mailing list about a couple of challenges I had with it, but so far I'm a happy camper.

I especially like the improved handling of AFTD's.

/tony

1 Message

September 27th, 2012 01:00

Hi !

We will -in short i hope- be using the option to perform direct backups from individual clients to DD using DD Boost. It'll shrink our backup window because these last months it has become unmanageable !!! Data never stops growing !!!!

Josu.

October 10th, 2012 23:00

NetWorker 8 has some very good features. After going through NetWorker 8, I was impressed with some of the new features and enhancements:

1)     NMM Client configuration wizards for SQL, Exchange and HyperV : this is something that most of the customers were looking for. It was not easy to go on each and every client and run nsrsnap_vss_save.exe to get the list of savesets. This will definitely make one’s life easier. Atleast somewhat!

2)     If you start a session from command line, there was no way of stopping it unless you kill the process. This new feature was added in NW 8 which does define the term “centralized management”.

3)     Editing multiple “common” resources attributes was really required from NW 7.x. Good to see it appear in NW 8. However, I am not sure if multiple sorting option is still available.

4)     History of previously ran groups! Good feature.

However there are few usability enhancements which can be implemented easily. They are:

1)     When creating a media pool, you have the ability to restrict that particular pool to use specific devices from a PTL/VTL or all devices. Maybe a tree like structure can be implemented, where the user selects either the whole VTL or certain devices from that particular VTL/PTL. Now, we need to know which device belongs to which VTL/PTL and it becomes very difficult once there are multiple VTLs and PTLs defined in NetWorker

2)     Maybe having a separate log file for each group / backup would help reduce the overload of going through the daemon.raw file and make life easy for the user to find out the problem

3)     Sorting multiple columns would certainly help the user in organizing their backups

4)     Creating a new client with default values in NetWorker when the client/storage node is installed would be an easy task (nsradmin command?!?)

NetWorker 8 has some very good features. After going through NetWorker 8, I was impressed with some of the new features and enhancements: 1)     NMM Client configuration wizards for SQL, Exchange and HyperV : this is something that most of the customers were looking for. It was not easy to go on each and every client and run nsrsnap_vss_save.exe to get the list of savesets. This will definitely make one’s life easier. Atleast somewhat! 2)     If you start a session from command line, there was no way of stopping it unless you kill the process. This new feature was added in NW 8 which does define the term “centralized management”. 3)     Editing multiple “common” resources attributes was really required from NW 7.x. Good to see it appear in NW 8. However, I am not sure if multiple sorting option is still available. 4)     History of previously ran groups! Good feature.  However there are few usability enhancements which can be implemented easily. They are: 1)     When creating a media pool, you have the ability to restrict that particular pool to use specific devices from a PTL/VTL or all devices. Maybe a tree like structure can be implemented, where the user selects either the whole VTL or certain devices from that particular VTL/PTL. Now, we need to know which device belongs to which VTL/PTL and it becomes very difficult once there are multiple VTLs and PTLs defined in NetWorker 2)     Maybe having a separate log file for each group / backup would help reduce the overload of going through the daemon.raw file and make life easy for the user to find out the problem 3)     Sorting multiple columns would certainly help the user in organizing their backups 4)     Creating a new client with default values in NetWorker when the client/storage node is installed would be an easy task (nsradmin command?!?)

NetWorker 8 has some very good features. After going through NetWorker 8, I was impressed with some of the new features and enhancements: 1)     NMM Client configuration wizards for SQL, Exchange and HyperV : this is something that most of the customers were looking for. It was not easy to go on each and every client and run nsrsnap_vss_save.exe to get the list of savesets. This will definitely make one’s life easier. Atleast somewhat! 2)     If you start a session from command line, there was no way of stopping it unless you kill the process. This new feature was added in NW 8 which does define the term “centralized management”. 3)     Editing multiple “common” resources attributes was really required from NW 7.x. Good to see it appear in NW 8. However, I am not sure if multiple sorting option is still available. 4)     History of previously ran groups! Good feature.  However there are few usability enhancements which can be implemented easily. They are: 1)     When creating a media pool, you have the ability to restrict that particular pool to use specific devices from a PTL/VTL or all devices. Maybe a tree like structure can be implemented, where the user selects either the whole VTL or certain devices from that particular VTL/PTL. Now, we need to know which device belongs to which VTL/PTL and it becomes very difficult once there are multiple VTLs and PTLs defined in NetWorker 2)     Maybe having a separate log file for each group / backup would help reduce the overload of going through the daemon.raw file and make life easy for the user to find out the problem 3)     Sorting multiple columns would certainly help the user in organizing their backups 4)     Creating a new client with default values in NetWorker when the client/storage node is installed would be an easy task (nsradmin command?!?)

No Events found!