Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2014 06:00

NetWorker 8.1.1 and DataDomain

Hi, we have one location with NetWorker Server (also working as Storage Node).

In this location and in one remote location we connected two DataDomains with DDboost protocol to his server.

Backups were done locally in both locations to DD devices, with cloning beetwen DD devices.

After some time it occured, that in remote location we must deploy NetWorker Storage Node (because not always working "client direct" option on that site).

My question is how must i configure DDboost device in NetWorker that new storage node will have access to its DD in this remote location?

Of course I'd like to be able to do cloning savesets beetwen locations with DDBoost protocol as previous.

Simply the goal is to add Storage Node in remote location and keep already done backups.

Unfortunately documentation is not clear for me in that case.

2.4K Posts

June 6th, 2014 07:00

This is what we have in our configuration ...

Device Name:

rd=storage_node:dd_name_device_name

Device access information:

dd_name:/server_name/device_name

17 Posts

June 6th, 2014 15:00

Thanks bingo but my DD device is already defined as:

Name: secondsitedd

Device access information: second-dd-name:/networker-main-server/dd-second-site-backup

So, I can not rename DD in second site to "rd=..."

2.4K Posts

June 6th, 2014 21:00

Sure.

But as the device on a storage node is remote with respect to the NW server, you must have 'rd:....' devices.

17 Posts

June 7th, 2014 08:00

So what must I do to reconfigure NetWorker to connect the same mount point to new Storage Node and retain my backups?

2.4K Posts

June 8th, 2014 01:00

In the client's storage node list, just define here the SN(s) which shall be used.

Otherwise you advise NW indirectly by labeling the new device to the correct pool.

17 Posts

June 8th, 2014 02:00

Yes, I know this. But what should I do to present existing resource with backups that new SN will be able to read and write to IT. By resource i mean "folder and mount point" on DD that was defined in main NW server.

Is it possible at all?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 9th, 2014 12:00

Bingo already answered question - see hint with access information.  Eventually, to keep things clear, you can create new set of devices and stage old one where and when needed to new ones... and once done decommission old setup.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 9th, 2014 15:00

Unmounting happens when your device daemon is too busy and gets not update in timely fashion.  To keep those "mounted on demand", enable automedia device management on device level.

17 Posts

June 9th, 2014 15:00

Thank you, indeed it is really simple in NW 8.1.

However, experienced few random "unmounts" from new SN.

Manual mounting back volume works, but why unmounting happens?

Any ideas.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 10th, 2014 03:00

Hi Bobby, it has been said in this very forum by EMC folks that statement that AMM should not be used with DD is bogus quote from docs - change of mind again?  I've been running it that way for past year+ and I see no issues.

736 Posts

Hi Hrvoje,

You're right - AMM was being used a lot as a workaround to re-mount devices which were unmounting due to network issues.  However, there were some incidents where this caused problems in certain circumstances and the official recommendation is now to not enable this for DDboost devices.    You'll see this in the NetWorker-VMware Integration Guide where it says: "Ensure that Auto media management is not selected. It does not apply to DD Boost devices."

-Bobby

736 Posts

Hi,

Enabling auto media management with DDBoost devices is not recommended as this has caused problems in the past.  The unmounting is probably due to a network issue.  You should look at the errors you see on the DD at the time and try setting the tcp keepalive to keep the connection open.  You'll find details here:

122960 : NetWorker AFTD intermittently unmounts at backup start with failure to verify label - volume not found in media index             https://support.emc.com/kb/122960

-Bobby

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

June 10th, 2014 04:00

Yes, that was the quote I was referring in my previous post

17 Posts

June 10th, 2014 15:00

Hrvoje Crvelin, Bobby Cogan thanks for advice.

Symptoms are exactly like described in KB.

I'll investigate this.

No Events found!