Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2015 00:00

NetWorker backup from DMZ clients very slow

Hi folks,

I have a seperate NetWorker datazone for backing up Clients residing in a DMZ. I have configured NetWorker to use the port range 7937-7990 which works. But the backups are very slow. For example 50 MB of Oracle Archivelogs takes 20 minutes to get backed up.

I now tried to open the whole NetWorker port range (7937-9936) to test if the backups run faster which is unfortunately not the case. I have no idea what the Performance issues causes.

The NetWorker Server and a DataDomain are on the same Network subnet and the Connection into the DMZ is done through a Cisco PaloAlto Firewall. Can the firewall be the Performance killer? Everything is cabled within a 1 GbE Network.

Can I get some Information from NetWorker what he is doing during the backup? Maybe strace a process or something?

Cheers

JJ

116 Posts

November 13th, 2015 02:00

Did you opened ports for DD access too? (Do you use ddboost?)

If you don't want to grant access to the DD from DMZ you can disable client direct on the client side - and then there will be no timeouts (to unaccessible networks).

What's in your netstat output? Do you have connections stucked in SYN_SENT state?

At our site we opened only client- nsr server connection from DMZ and disabled dd direct access with:

mkdir /nsr/debug

touch /nsr/debug/nodirectfile

2.4K Posts

November 13th, 2015 00:00

Careful - you are dealing with the service ports (the listening ports).

Under normal circumstances, NW should not use more than 2 - 7937 & 7938. So opening more would not improve anything as the data will be transferred via the connection ports.

May I suggest you use the Checkpoint SmartView Tracker to find out which ports are used or blocked, respectively.

161 Posts

November 16th, 2015 00:00

Son of a gun....I disabled "Client direct" and backups are fast as I assumed they need to be. Thanks!

17 Posts

April 25th, 2019 00:00

Yes it works !!! Thanks !!!

From 3 Hours to 5 minutes ... :-)

Marcus

No Events found!