Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2013 05:00

Networker 7.5.4 Standard Client Logging in to SQL Server?

Hello, I have noticed that the regular Networker client (like the file system backup, standard client) seems to be logging in to SQL Server.  I got an alert from my SQL Server, the program name was "NetWorker" and it used "NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM" as a login name.  Any ideas as to why it is connecting?  I could understand if I was using the Networker Module for Microsoft Applications or the SQL Server plugin, but I am not using them, nor are they installed.  I don't really like the idea of Networker logging in without my permission and I would like to know what exactly it is doing.

Thanks,

Kevin

3 Posts

I don't know how familiar you are with SQL Server, but what I saw is definitely a log in.  I queried the SQL Server sessions views, which is where I received the log in alert.  Unfortunately, I did not get back any query text (it is about 50/50 on whether I get the query back or not).  I see that there were 8 logical reads on the session, which means that it definitely ran some query.  This is the query I ran to get the information:

SELECT DES.session_id, DES.login_time, RTRIM(DES.host_name), RTRIM(DES.program_name),

DES.host_process_id, DES.client_version, RTRIM(DES.client_interface_name),

DES.security_id, RTRIM(DES.login_name), RTRIM(DES.nt_domain),

RTRIM(DES.nt_user_name), RTRIM(DES.status), DES.context_info, DES.cpu_time,

DES.memory_usage, DES.total_scheduled_time, DES.last_request_start_time,

DES.last_request_end_time, DES.reads, DES.writes, DES.logical_reads,

DES.is_user_process, DES.text_size, RTRIM(DES.language), RTRIM(DES.date_format),

DES.date_first, DES.quoted_identifier, DES.arithabort, DES.ansi_null_dflt_on,

DES.ansi_defaults, DES.ansi_warnings, DES.ansi_padding, DES.ansi_nulls,

DES.concat_null_yields_null, DES.transaction_isolation_level, DES.lock_timeout,

DES.deadlock_priority, DES.row_count, DES.prev_error, DES.original_security_id,

RTRIM(DES.original_login_name), DES.last_successful_logon,

DES.last_unsuccessful_logon, DES.unsuccessful_logons,

DEC.most_recent_session_id, DEC.connect_time, RTRIM(DEC.net_transport),

RTRIM(DEC.protocol_type), RTRIM(DEC.encrypt_option), RTRIM(DEC.auth_scheme),

DEC.num_reads, DEC.num_writes, DEC.last_read, DEC.last_write, DEC.net_packet_size,

RTRIM(DEC.client_net_address), DEC.client_tcp_port, RTRIM(DEC.local_net_address),

DEC.local_tcp_port, DEC.connection_id, DEC.parent_connection_id,

DEC.most_recent_sql_handle,

ISNULL(DB_NAME(SQ.dbid),'') [database_name],

SQ.text,

GETDATE() [capture_dt]

FROM sys.dm_exec_sessions DES

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.dm_exec_connections DEC ON

DES.session_id = DEC.session_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.dm_exec_requests DER ON

DES.session_id = DER.session_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN (

SELECT DEC2.session_id, DEST.text, DEST.dbid

FROM sys.dm_exec_connections DEC2

CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(DEC2.most_recent_sql_handle) DEST

) SQ ON

DES.session_id = SQ.session_id

WHERE DES.is_user_process = 1

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

I don't believe it is logging at all; I believe what you see is logging which comes out due to SQL VSS Writer and the way how event log mechanism is picking up events.

3 Posts

November 11th, 2013 06:00

There actually is no VSS backup on this server.  It has a list of save sets; C:\, D:\, E:\, F:\, and SERVERNAME:index.  I guess it might use VSS to backup these drives, but it is not a save set of "ALL", so there are no VSS:BACKUPSET save sets backed up.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

Actually it may requester for the query, and query itself is run by VSS as hinted before.  Tell me, does timestamp matches file system backup? NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM indicates this is coming in your case from service which runs as such and belongs to NetWorker.  If you check timestamps, most likely you can tie that to VSS (and backup admin can also do a test without VSS).

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

It uses VSS for backup of drives (VSS is used not only for VSS save sets).

No Events found!