Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2014 00:00

Networker 8.2 does not show required tape volumes for restore/recover.

We have just upgraded from 8.0.1 up to 8.2 and are having some issues with Networker recovery. A SR has been raised but no-one is able to help. It's pretty crucial at this point as it pretty much removes our ability to restore at speed. I don't want to have to downgrade our entire estate but may have to.

Our networker environment is linux. Before 8.2 we would happily use nwrecover on a linux box, which would show all possible restores fine and show us any required volumes. Now on 8.2 we have to use the NMC Windows Recovery console, which in itself is great, except when a recover is selected. If I choose to view required volumes, I just get a blank error..

11-12-2014 10-36-56 AM.png

The storage node box is empty as is select alternative volumes of cloned data. If i proceed with the recovery -  it then starts requesting its required tape in the alerts box - which I can recall from offsite, but once that has been read for 30 seconds, it may then ask for another, which I will have to recall again and so forth. Even if it listed all tapes it needed in the alerts box at once it would be OK, but it doesn't.

Am I missing the correct way to view required tapes? Does anyone know how to fix this, or have any kind of work around so that we may do restores quickly?

Thanks in advance for any help...

25 Posts

December 18th, 2014 03:00

For reference from an engineer:

"I checked with my resources and got to know that it is a known bug. (NetWorker Bug 204234 - NW00161731-NW161731:NMC recover wizard throws a blank error box when trying to list volumes for recover, which are offline.)"

Will be fixed in next cumulative Hotfix.

25 Posts

November 18th, 2014 01:00

They are listed - yes So that is a workaround for now - anyone know the root cause?

Thank you ZennaroNicola.

445 Posts

Kgthomson,

Does the username/NMC server name have permissions within the client you are trying to recover you are logged into NMC with?

Regards,

Bill Mason

Hi

the NMC user must be networker administrator

When the Console server and the NetWorker server are on separate hosts, add the owner

of the gstd process and the NMC administrator user to the Administrators list on the

NetWorker server. This allows the NMC administrator user to administer and monitor the

NetWorker server. The owner of the gstd process is the user that starts the gstd

daemon on UNIX or the EMC GST service on Windows.

-Nicola

25 Posts

Hi Bill,

So say the NMC Console server is named 'hanson' - Does that need to be present in (Globals, 2 of 2) Remote Access in the client properties menu? As currently only the backup servers and nodes are present as 'root@node.domain.com' 'root@server.domain.com' etc.

Regards,

Keith.

Hi

may you try from cli :

from bck server:

recover -c

cd

add

list

volumes

Are the volumes needed listed ?

-Nicola

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

November 18th, 2014 02:00

Try adding your id to the admin list with the following command on the backup server.

nsraddadmin -u keith@*

try from bck server:

nsraddadmin -u *@hanson.domain.com

-Nicola

25 Posts

The NMC server is named hanson.domain.com

In the administrators user group, I have

user=administrator,host=hanson.domain.com

user=root,host=hanson.domain.com (root being the owner of gstd)

I've also added root@hanson.domain.com to the list. In my error log though I still receive errors;

78374 11/18/2014 10:16:52 AM  nsrexecd RAP critical An unsuccessful attempt to impersonate user keith@ was made by root@hanson.domain.com. If root@hanson.domain.com can be trusted, grant the user "Administrator" privileges on the NetWorker server

25 Posts

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for your help. I have run that, which added successfully, however I still receive the error Any other ideas?

(Assuming that this is the cause of the blank volume list).

78374 11/18/2014 10:42:44 AM  nsrexecd RAP critical An unsuccessful attempt to impersonate user keith@was made by root@hanson.domain.com . If root@hanson.domain.com can be trusted, grant the user "Administrator" privileges on the NetWorker server

173 Posts

Have you tried to upgrade java??

Lukas

25 Posts

November 18th, 2014 03:00

NDMP data from a NetApp filer.

25 Posts

a) does the issue with showing volumes in GUI applies to all backups regardless of their type

Correct

b) does the issue with showing volumes in GUI applies to backups done with NW8.2 as well

Correct

c) if you use older NMC only, do you see the same?

On older NMC - did not have new recover within NMC, was using NWrecover on Linux, which did work, yes.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

Is the data that you are trying to restore NDMP data or normal filesystem backups ?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

a) does the issue with showing volumes in GUI applies to all backups regardless of their type

b) does the issue with showing volumes in GUI applies to backups done with NW8.2 as well

c) if you use older NMC only, do you see the same?

No Events found!