Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2009 01:00

Networker / Avamar Dedup session ends with error

Hi

I am having this problem with a Networker Client Using Avamar Dedup.

This is a Windows 2008 server, it is located offsite. The Networker server is running 7,5,1. The client is 7.5.1. Build 269.

We are only doing a backup of files in a single folder on the E: drive (No directive or skips) .

The backup works for one or two weeks at a time then it quits working and we have to restart the server to get it working.

The error we are getting on the Networker Savegroup is:

1 retry attempted

57803:save: Saving with De-Duplication enabled

57801:save:Timeout occurred while waiting for connections from avtar

39077:save: error, No De-dup context session created

5195:save: save failed on \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy26\Notendur\Agust\af c\gogn\Bréf v. contact i esb.doc

66752:save:De-Dupe session is aborting

66754:save:De-Dupe session closed successfully

:   error while saving \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy26\Notendur\Agust\af c\gogn\Bréf v. contact i esb.doc

Does anyone have any help on this?

Best regard Otto

57 Posts

January 4th, 2010 06:00

Hi Otto,

Even though haven't seen this cind of error on Avamar/NSR, but I have a feeling that this is casued by a VSS issue.

When such a failed session has occured, have you checked the vss writers status ? (Not running out of shadow space etc.)

Is there any VSS patches applied to the client ?

The second thing, do you know if the pfile and hashcache files are of sufficient size ? If you have a lot of files on your client the

avtar command has to re-calculate all blocks and might have a time-out issue. I assume that this should not be the case as you

are specifying a sub-directory.

Is it caused by the same file /files each time. Could it be a character issue(LANG settings). (guess)

Please provide more data to the community that might put some light on the issue.

best regards

Håkan

11 Posts

January 4th, 2010 08:00

Hi Hakan,

I am only saving the E:\Notendur and I thought the VSS should not be an issue. I do not think the characther set might be an issue unless if this happens only when the icelandic characthers are in a file that changes i.e. needs to be backed up.

57 Posts

January 5th, 2010 00:00

OK, do you get anything in the logfiles on the client ?

When it's "hung" do you have a nsravtar process still there. If so can you kill it?

Regards

Håkan

11 Posts

January 6th, 2010 01:00

Thanks Hakan I have not checked the log files since we changed to the Dedup Backup.

I have to wait for the next incident and I will check the log files then.

Regards Otto

11 Posts

January 7th, 2010 05:00

Hi again,

I went to the customer the backup failed again last night. It seems the server is in avery strange state. He tried to installed Sp2 for win2008 and that always fails. The customer said he saw a note that the SP2 would not install because SP1 is missin which is not true.

I told the customer to fix the server and install SP2.

Best regards Otto.

57 Posts

January 7th, 2010 06:00

Something strange with the registry then.

Haven't tried this but is it possible to make a client initiated backup with the NetWorker User GUI of the data ?

(and get avamar dedupe backup)

Maybe I'm stubborn here, but I'm currently hunting down a problem where the registry still think that the data is there and the VSS shadow is empty...

And VSS:*=of doesn't have any effekt on win2008.

regards

Håkan

11 Posts

January 8th, 2010 00:00

I forgot to say tht the nsravtar was not running after it failed. We can not initate manual backups from any clients. That is by default on our behalf.
No Events found!