Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2015 07:00

Operating system for Backup server & Storage node

Hi Folks,

We are using WK8 OS for backup server & Storage node.

and planning to migrate backup server & Storage node to Suse Linux OS

Could you please let us know advanage & disadvanatge of backup sever & SN on Suse Linux OS

Thanks & Regards

Sainath Pawar

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

July 13th, 2015 04:00

okie, with ddboost having 1000 clients should work (without it I would stick to half of it), though I would rather split that.  I can't really say how to optimize Windows box for backup server as I run it on Linux, but performance tuning guide should be good starting point.  You can further check with Windows folks in company if there are any recommended features/settings there to have it set.  I assume, you could also try win2k12 instead of win2k8 as it has some TCP improvements. 

One thing to consider is if you really need storage node.  With DDBoost all data traffic goes from client onto DD appliance so what is left is just metadata.  This is why I switched to backup server VMs and no longer do I use storage nodes - I simply don't need them.  My HA is handled by hypervisor and not underlaying OS so... all looks fine.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 10th, 2015 23:00

Hello Sainath,

Linux is found to be the best option when handling a backup server with a larger number of client server from my experience (> 50). There is no definite set of advantage or disadvantage for selecting an operating system its all about your organizations strategy and its all yours to decide what you want to go with. 

2.4K Posts

July 11th, 2015 09:00

We are running about 520 clients using 1 W2K8 server with 2 storage nodes backing up to 2 DDs.

Thanks to DDBoost & Client Direct these machines have more power than necessary.

Technically, I do not see any reason why to move away from Windows. Besides that I love to use Powershell to control and run powerful reports/statistics (automatically) whenever necessary.

Of course one could also do that on UNIX/Linux. However, if you are not a fulltime SW developer I am sure it will be much more difficult on a NW Unix/Linux server.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

July 12th, 2015 06:00

I would argue as long as you stay within x86 realm, you should be fine.  Whether you use Windows or Linux may come down to personal preference.  I still believe Linux might be more stable and certainly more optimized for NFS related calls so I would always go down the Linux route if I had to choose between two, but many other people seem to be happy with Windows as well. With DB changes on the horizon, I think Linux might be more interesting as well, but if you run pure Windows shop then simply stick to it.

July 12th, 2015 18:00

HI All,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

I have conclude from above comments is that Windows as well as Linux will be good operating system for backup server & SN. not necessary to migrate backup server from windows to Linux OS.

Hence anyone can explain what will be the optimization is necessary if i am taking backup of 1000+ client (FS & DB backup) on windows backup server & SN

Thanks & Regards

Sainath Pawar

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

July 13th, 2015 00:00

With DD (and DDBoost) or without it?

July 13th, 2015 01:00

With DDBoost

No Events found!