Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2007 03:00

Powersnap for NAS vs. NDMP

Hello,

does anyone have experiences with Powersnap Module for NAS Devices? From what I've read Powersnap uses some kind of host snaphost technologie to create an instant backup. This instant backup is written to tape later. As far as I can see from Netapp Filer logs traditional NDMP backups creates snapshots for backups too. Now my questions: How do the two backup methods differ from each other? Is Powersnap managing the snapshots instead of the filer? Which method is faster? Are there any advantages with one of them if I want to backup several TB of small files from a NetApp filer?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

February 6th, 2007 04:00

When it comes to backup of millions of small files the only valid solution is block sized based. I don't know much about PS NAS, but did few things with PS Symm recently and at the end I expect backup to be file based again. I'm not sure if in latest code NetApp supports (like Celerra) block sized NDMP backup, but I think that is the only solution when you have tones of small files around file system.

51 Posts

February 25th, 2015 03:00

Under my experience, if you use NDMP with VBB for a backup with millions of files, it usually take long time to start, and usually it takes more time to complete than TAR or DUMP.

Recently I am testing the new feature NSM for NAS Devices, and as it creates a snap and then perform the rollover or maintain the snap for a time, it is faster than typical NDMP.

If you have the opportunity, just give it a try.

No Events found!