Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2017 06:00

Restore backup file to a different server

I'm new to NetWorker, and it is already being used in my company.  My current issue is restoring a SQL backup file from the SQL server's backup, but want it on a different VM.  We are provisioning testing servers and want to get the latest backup from NetWorker using the CLI commands.

Thanks for any wisdom that can be provided. . .Ben

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 10:00

Ben,

How did you take your backup?  SQL VDI using NMM?  VSS?

Let me know as I've been doing a bunch of SQL restores to different SQL servers and instances.

-Alex

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 12:00

I'll ask the Networker team.

Forgive my noobness, they use Networker to backup all our VMs and want us to use the Networker client to restore them.  Our VMs do their own SQL backups to a local drive that is then backedup (I know I'm overloading this term) with Networker.  However, we need a CLI command to restore the backup file with Jenkins and Puppet.  Starting with Jenkins.  Its a windows server, so my initial thinking was a 'restore' command from the Windows command prompt with Jenkins would be my best bet.  No luck so far.

Thanks for all your time and help. . .Ben

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 12:00

Ben,

Your cli restore command is going to depend on how the Backup\Networker team is backing the DBs up and they ought to be able to show you the best way to restore rather than having you figure it out.

Having said that, if you're using SQL VDI you will want to use the nsrsqlrc command, which can be found here:

https://www.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu57655.pdf

Pay close attention to the sample commands on page 133.

Also, here is a little cheat sheet I use:

nsrsqlrc -s "NETWORKER SERVER FQDN" -t "CLONEID\TIMESTAMP ID" -c "CLIENT FQDN" -C DATABASENAME=X:\Restorepath\restoredbname.mdf,LOGFILENAME_LOG=X:\RestorePath\RestoredLogfilename_log.ldf" -d MSSQL:RESTOREDBNAME MSSQL:ORIGINALDBNAME

This cheat sheet is without any kind of guarantee and is just something I use.  I am not an EMC employee or a Networker master expert, just someone who has had good success using this type of pattern.  YMMV!

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 16:00

Your backup team can restore your SQL dump backup to target machine and then you can recover database (always found this two-step of SQL backup kind of bizarre if you can do it in one step with SQL VDI in place).

No Events found!