Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 13th, 2011 18:00

VADP Linux guest backup failure

I'm testing a *FULL* backup of a Linux VM using a virtualized proxyhost and the hotadd backup method.  The saveset fails consistently with this output.  Is there anywhere I might check for more details about which step failed?  Especially since there is a line about Success of non-NTFS volume backup....

savegrp: suppressed 74 lines of output.
Using 'hotadd' as the transport mode for Hard disk 2.
80432:nsrvadp_save: Parser failed because of a non-NTFS volume inside the VM.
Backup of the non-NTFS volume Success.
Cleaningup VADP mount operation.
Deleting snapshot for 'snapshot-25574' ...
Task is -1% complete
Task is 2% complete
Task is 6% complete
Task is 14% complete
Task is 30% complete
Task is 62% complete
Task is -1% complete
Snapshot for VM client.domain is deleted.
Temporary directory 'd:\mnt\client.domain' for VADP deleted.

42 Posts

July 14th, 2011 08:00

Hi Eugene,

You *might* be running into an issue that's documented in a kb article on powerlink  which is still in a review phase before it becomes customer viewable and subject to change as a result.  It's my understanding that this message can also occur if there is an attempt to backup dynamic disks but I am not sure if the resolution was the same.  If you have dynamic disks in the VM let me know....

In the specific case that is referenced in the kb article, the customer had a VM that was upgraded from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003.  The windows install directory as a result was c:\winnt instead of c:\windows. This was causing the parser to fail as it looks for a windows installation at C:\windows

The resolution was to download and Install the following 2003 resource kit from Microsoft into the VM, it is only 12MB in size:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd

Once installed, these instructions were followed to create a junction point:

1. Open command prompt in the VM

2. cd to the folder in the resource kit, by default it is located in "C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"

3. mkdir "C:\windows"

4. linkd "c:\windows" "c:\winnt"

5. You can now confirm the junction point is created:

cd \ (to change to root of c: )

dir /a

Here the output should show one entry saying Junction:

05/28/2011  03:17 AM         windows

05/28/2011  02:23 AM   

WINNT

6. Once above steps are done, please run a level 0 fullvm backup of the VM and check if it is browsable.

Thanks

Debbie

42 Posts

July 14th, 2011 09:00

Not sure how I missed the Linux reference in your first post!

Debbie

74 Posts

July 14th, 2011 09:00

Hi Debbie,

Thank you for the suggestion, but the backup target is a Linux VM and the proxyhost is a brand new 2008R2 VM.

I have opened a support case but still waiting for someone to make contact...

16 Posts

July 15th, 2011 02:00

Your Logs look exactly like ours except for the ntfs-line. Are you really sure that this is the only Problem ?

Since Networker can't do file level recovery for not-ntfs-volumes you might specify "VADP_DISABLE_FLR=Yes"

74 Posts

July 15th, 2011 11:00

Omega wrote:

Your Logs look exactly like ours except for the ntfs-line. Are you really sure that this is the only Problem ?

Since Networker can't do file level recovery for not-ntfs-volumes you might specify "VADP_DISABLE_FLR=Yes"

I don't believe that line is a problem at all.  The problem is that the backup does not work at all for Linux guests.

74 Posts

July 19th, 2011 10:00

A very helpful EMC engineer ran my VADP_SAVE.exe command with -D9, and noticed an authentication error.  This is the usual hostname/DNS mismatch as when I tested with a Windows client, however the message using a Windows client did not need any debug level at all and was in the savegroup report.  He says he will file an RFE to print the authentication error when using Linux guests as well.  Server/VADP Proxy/Client are all 7.6.2.2 build 651.

25 Posts

January 5th, 2012 07:00

Adding the "user=system,host=vadp-proxy" to the remote access field of the client helps!

It's doumented in the vadp integration guide

1 Message

May 18th, 2012 08:00

Thanks, Frank. I had a similar issue, and that solved it.

No Events found!