Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2012 01:00

VCB Backups Waiting To Run

Good morning everyone

Backups of VMs are tricky, aren't they?

Our staff have made some changes on the system, and now the VMs aren't backing up. Staff are a bit vague, and are wondering about a VM database that might have been moved.

The VM group shows as Running in Networker, with each client showing as "Waiting to Run". There are sufficient tapes but I cannot find anywhere that tells me WHY they are waiting.

Here's the facts.

Networker 7.6.3 and VMWare Consolidated Backup Framework on the server; vSphere 5, VCB & VMTools on the machine hosting the VMs.

VM server & backup server are talking to each other OK as the MNT folder is full of new folders of VMDK files for each VM.

It's just frustrating that these folders are there but Networker won't start on them, nor tell us why it won't start them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand that Networker is supposed to be a complex product

November 14th, 2012 20:00

Hello,

Networker version 7.6.3 does not support VCB. You need to convert to VADP backups. Please go through the VMware integration guide for more information on this.

November 15th, 2012 01:00

Hi AJ2,

For the first query, please go through the Vmware integration guide available in powerlink. VCB backups do still work happily, but only if you are having a 7.6.1 Networker version on the proxy host. Below is an excerpt from the integration guide.

"NetWorker 7.6 SP2 still supports VCB-based backups with NetWorker 7.6 SP1 proxy

servers. However, VADP-based backups must use a NetWorker 7.6 SP2 proxy server.

A NetWorker 7.6 SP2 proxy cannot be used for VCB backups."

The last statement is applicable for version later than 7.6.2 as well.

You can reach out to Tech support by opening a Service Request in powerlink. It can also be done via chat which is the quickest way to reach out to support, but I am not sure why you are unable to open it. There is no direct email with which you can contact them. If you are having any issues with any of those, please feel free to contact your EMC Sales person/Strategic Account Manager or any one you know from EMC.

Finally, as you understand Networker is a complex product, there is no one single resource from where you can learn "everything". A training course from EMC would be an ideal way to kick off your learning in my opinion.

6 Posts

November 15th, 2012 01:00

Oh dear.

Are you sure? I've seen other discussions about VCBs on here, and they were backing up happily last weekk. 

Also, I have inherited support of this product, and obviously have had no training or handover because that's the more "Lean" support model that everyone finds so much better nowadays.

Normally I can pick things up quickly enough but Networker seems a very complex product that is hard to follow (eg why isn't it telling me WHY the backups won't start).

I've had a look at the (800 page) Administrator .pdf but this seems more for reference.

What's a good resource to learn about Networker?

Also, and you may perhaps laugh when I ask this, but is there an email for Networker support.

The Support pages go around in circles, sending you to "Chat" (which then doesn't work) or pointing me to US phone numbers (which I can't ring, I'm in the UK).

Is there a helpful Tech Support dept I can email, rather than leaving messages on these boards?

Thank you all very much

544 Posts

November 16th, 2012 02:00

Hi AJ2,

I am also confirming that NetWorker 7.6 SP2 (or later ) proxy can only be used for VADP based backups and should be used with a NetWorker 7.6 SP2 server. The good resource about NetWorker and VMware is called NetWorker VMware Integration Guide ( I hadd attached it into this reply)

Do you have any issues or limitations to transform your backup methodology from VCB to VADP ? If no issues are there, you can find in the guide how to change from VCB to VADP easily and how to configure the clients in a step by step.

Hope this helps you. Waiting your updates.

Ahmed Bahaa

1 Attachment

6 Posts

November 16th, 2012 03:00

I see.

Thank you for the Integration Guide - that looks just the thing.

That's a nice job for next week.

Thank you both again for your help & I trust you both have excellent weekends.

Tony

No Events found!