Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2009 17:00

Virtual Edition Client auto-discovery issue

Hi,

I have been asked to have a look at the VEC. First of all, I have no knowledge of Networker so someone will help me out there. I need to look at how to install the client on the vmware side of things.

I seem to have some problems with the auto-discovery.
I installed client on my virtual center and now I am trying to configure the auto-discovery but it fails.

My web services are running on VC as I can connect to web client in my browser. I don't get any indication as to why it fails.

Starting Auto Discovery Process for vcenter1
Monitoring Auto Discovery for vcenter1
Auto Discovery for vcenter1 failed Failed
Monitoring Auto Discovery Completed

Any ideas
Cheers

Message was edited by:
AllBlack

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 4th, 2009 02:00

Is there more in log of NW or VC for that session?

10 Posts

November 6th, 2009 08:00

Having the same issue. On the Advanced tab, it is looking for http://servername/sdk

If I go to that page in a web browser, I get "The webpage cannot be found". Do we need a software development kit from Networker for to auto discover? Do the ESX hosts need to have the Virtual Client installed first?

10 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 13:00

So this is what I have learned since my first post.  If your Virtual Center is on a 64 bit operating system the "nsrvim" script will not install because it is only for 32 bit machines.  And Networker Engineers seemed to be under the impression no one would be using a 64 bit operating system ever!  7.6 does not have it either, so I guess maybe 7.7 will have it

28 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 13:00

I too am having the same issue. I am using NW 7.5 SP1 and after re-reading the admin guide, it states that the auto-discovery process calls a program called "nsrvim" from the virtual client server with Networker installed. However, the 7.5 SP1 client does not contain "nsrvim". The last version to contain this program was 7.4 SP2 that I have used.

So, I tried to go back to 7.4 SP2 on my virtual client server and when "nsrvim" runs I get an error that "liblocal.dll" cannot be found. It is contained in the same directory as "nsrvim" but apparently that is not the location in which "nsrvim" is looking. This was working before we updated to vSphere 4 and NW 7.5.

I'm confused as to the documentation still stating that the only command at this time that is used for auto-discovery but it is not included in the client or server installation.

Am I missing something? I haven't called support yet and that'll be my next course of action unless the community as found the solution.

28 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 14:00

Yep. I did some more digging and came to the same conclusion.

Very frustrating indeed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 10:00

Yes, nsrvim is only packaged with 32-bit windows.

However if your VC is installed on 64-bit machine, you can still perform auto-discovery with 7.6

Only you would need an additional 32-bit machine which acts as the nsrvim client to communicate with the 64-bit VC.

Please refer to the NetWorker Procedure Generator -Configuration-VM operations section to see the exact steps.

Externally, Customers can access NPG from powerlink Home>Support>Product and Diagnostic Tools> NetWorker Procedure Generator if they have not already done so.

Let me know if you need any help.

28 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 10:00

Just so I understand, this could be any normal client running 32bit NW? It doesn't need anything special?

In the auto-discovery config, I would list this client in the "command host" section and it should work? You mention that it works with NW 7.6, what about previous versions of NW?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2009 20:00

Just so I understand, this could be any normal client running 32bit NW? It doesn't need anything special?

***Yes, it can be any Windows 32bit NW Client which can communicate with VC. Nothing more than that.

In the auto-discovery config, I would list this client in the "command host" section and it should work? You mention that it works with NW 7.6, what about previous versions of NW?
***Yes, giving this 32-bit client in command host  would work. It should work even with 7.5.x since the auto-discovery feature was essentially the same.

10 Posts

December 28th, 2009 06:00

Thank you, samadm!!

It works, I just pointed the command host only to a 32 bit server and it all comes up with no issue.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 28th, 2009 07:00

You are welcome.

NetWorker has got some real cool VM features, just need to dig deep to find them I guess.

2 Posts

May 7th, 2010 14:00

That's great! . . . unless you don't have any 32-bit OSs around anymore :-( It's not like you can still install the NW 32-bit client on Windows x64 to get around all of this.

So I'm trying to dig around and find the Networker documentation that says "This is a really cool VMware backup feature - but is only available on old 32-bit Windows". Haven't found it yet . . .

2 Posts

May 7th, 2010 15:00

What do you know. Finally found it on pg 527 in the 7.6 Admin Guide:

A binary, nsrvim, is used to facilitate communication between the NetWorker

software and the VMware VirtualCenter. The nsrvim binary can communicate with

the Web Services server on the VMware VirtualCenter using the secure HTTPS

protocol. The nsrvim binary is available only on Windows x86 platforms and is

included in the NetWorker for Windows 32-bit installation. All NetWorker servers

regardless of platform must contact a NetWorker client running in a Windows

environment for auto-discovery. By default, the NetWorker server contacts the

NetWorker client running on the VMware VirtualCenter.

8 Posts

August 24th, 2010 01:00

Many thanks for this post. Just moved vCentre to a Windows 2008 R2 host and got this problem. Worked a treat.

88 Posts

August 24th, 2010 08:00

32 Posts

September 16th, 2010 12:00

All,

So my Networker server is a new install of Windows 2008 R2 64-bit.   The Virtual Center is 32-bit already.  Do I have any options to use the Virtualization auto-discovery feature with this configuration?

Thanks

DT

No Events found!