Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2013 06:00

backup of index to DEFAULT pool in stead of ordinary pool

Hi,

I make a NDMP backup of a NAS using Legato Networker V 7.6.4.5 on WIn2008. It works fine but something bizar happens. The index of the NAS is not saved to the pool of tapes created and assigned for the group (called POOL2)  to but to the DEFAULT pool.

Does this ring a bell ?

Rgds,

Johan

2.4K Posts

August 21st, 2013 07:00

Yes it does. It has to do with the data type and your pool configuration.

The index save set belongs to the servers's client. It is a standard file backup - no NDMP data. So if you have a pool for NDMP data (best practice), it will not be used. You must configure another pool. If such is not available, NW will use 'Default', a kind of emergency pool which almost always fits ... except for NDMP data.

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

August 21st, 2013 07:00

Very interesting.

So I have to create a 3rd pool lets call it NEWP (next to DEFAULT adn pool2 containing all my clients with their savesets and of which 1 clientis the NDMP client). How to I tell Networker that the index of the NDMP client has to go to that pool and not to DEFAULT. I can assign a backup of a saveset  to a pool but can i assing the index backup to a another pool ?

Rgds,

Johan

2.4K Posts

August 21st, 2013 10:00

Sure.

BTW - it is best practice to collect the index and bootstrap data in a separate pool.

For that pool, filter the data by the save set names. Simply specify

index:*

bootstrap

in the pool`s save set list.

2.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2013 04:00

You can even mix NDMP data with standard NW data (OTF). But it has limitations (for scanner). I do not recommend this.

Best practice is to separate different data types on different media.

If you really insist on your scheme, then use the Data Service Agent (DSA) feature. This mechanism 'wraps' NDMP backups and saves the data also in OTF. But it can not be saved locally on the DNMP filer.

But are your really sure you want to do that?

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

I always saved the index and the bootstrap data (for > 10 years now) on the tape where the data savesets are saved. I also want to do this for the NDMP backups. No less no more. I want to ontinue to work as before....

Rgds,

Johan

1 Rookie

• 

79 Posts

Hi,

All my Legato clients belong to 1 pool called POOL2. When i enter index:* in the saveset field of the selections critiron of pool POOL2, only the indexes of POOL2 will be written to tapes labaled in POOL2. Not the svesets itself anymore.

I prefer to keep the index on the same tape as the VOLUME of the NAS. How to set up that for a NDMP backup  ?

Rgds,

Johan

No Events found!