Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2013 05:00

cloning with data domain boost over fibre channel

I have a DD2500, DDOS 5.4 and Networker Linux 8.1. I created a boost device over IP and a boost device

over fibre channel. Both mount the same volume. I want to clone to a LTO6 fibre channel device. Networker

seems to read only from the boost IP device. Only if I unmount the boost IP device it reads from the boost fibre

device. But this blocks my backups.

How can I force Networker to read always from the boost fibre device.

regards

Bernd

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

August 29th, 2013 03:00

Are they in the same pool?  If yes, there seems to preference to use IP always and therefore you would need to have two pools. 

You didn't say if your source ssid in on IP or FC.  It is possible that IP based original will prefer IP based target and other way around (I also have to disclaimer myself by saying that I don't know if DD based replication will work between these two even they are both DD Boost devices - perhaps in such case data path will go over storage node if integration is not full, but I never tested it).

72 Posts

August 29th, 2013 03:00

Hallo Hrvoje,

backup is always done to the IP device since clients are not in the SAN.

The same volume is mounted on 2 devices (IP and FC). With boost and NW 8.1

this is possible. But always the IP device is used.

There seems to be a preference for IP. You are right, could be the origin of the save sets

the rules the selection of the read device.

regards

Bernd

Senior Service Consultant

mentIQ GmbH

Konrad-Zuse-Platz 1

81829 München

Tel.: +49 (0)89 95 415 72 - 32

Mobil: +49 (0)173 40 97 458

Fax: +49 (0)89 95 415 72 - 99

Hotline: 01803 / M E N T I Q

eMail: bernd.gotschy@mentIQ.com

Internet: www.mentIQ.com

Von: Hrvoje Crvelin

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 29. August 2013 12:46

An: Bernd Gotschy

Betreff: Re: - cloning with data domain boost over fibre channel

ECN

cloning with data domain boost over fibre channel

reply from Hrvoje Crvelin in NetWorker Support Forum - View the full discussion

32 Posts

December 15th, 2015 23:00

this can be done but you will need a storage node for all the DDBoost over FC devices.

After you have your new storage node configured, set up all the DD Boost over FC devices on that storage node. Mount the existing volumes to the new FC devices.

In the clone menu, you'll need to enable diagnostic mode and you'll be able to select a storage node to READ from during cloning. Select the storage node we just configured and now all cloning jobs will read from the FC devices.

No Events found!