Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2012 04:00

"Failed to get matching writer. -- 0x8" during a restore of incr backup.

Hello everybody,

If i restore only the full, all is OK.

When i do a restore of incremental backup i have this error:

"Fatal error during processing of the Metadata file for savetime, failed to get matching writer. -- 0x8"

The restore of full backup is fine.

The restore of incremental backup seems to be fine but, the DB is unmounted and i can't mount it.

In the nmm.raw, i have only one error, the same that in the subject.

Regards

David.

21 Posts

April 26th, 2012 10:00

That's a good question David. I'm assuming that you restored the previous Full backup and then trying to lay down the incrementals up to current date?

544 Posts

April 26th, 2012 13:00

Hi David,

As you mentioned that you are using NMM , Would you please provide more details about the NMM version and the application you are restoring beside the Windows version you are restoring to ? and are you trying to restore using directed recovery or cross platform ??

For the message "Fatal error during processing of the Metadata file for savetime", most probably it is a result of a Cross-platform directed recovery operation performed. NMM does not support cross-platform recovery. A directed recovery operation might fail if the source and the destination NMM client machines are not running the same operating system.

For example, to perform a directed recover operation of a Exchange Mailbox, both the source and the destination NMM client machines must be running the same version of the operating system. For example, both NMM client machines must be running either Windows 2003 or Windows 2008. The recovery will fail if the source NMM client machine is running Windows 2003 and the destination NMM client machine is running Windows 2008.

Because a directed recovery operation is performed at the application level, the underlying differences between the operating system might not be apparent. The error that appears with this failure might not specify the cause. Note that Cross platform recovery is not supported by Microsoft.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

1.7K Posts

April 28th, 2012 23:00

Hi David,

This could be caused by different reasons, but having the nmm.raw would help us.

What about the previous post where we suggested to apply the registry changes?:

https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg127605

Thank you.

Carlos.

544 Posts

April 30th, 2012 00:00

Hi David,

Thanks for your updates, Happy that your problem has been solved.

In NMM 2.3 Build 109 , there was a fix for the escalation NW131394 ( Cannot do incremental backup of Public Folder Database on EXCH2010 DAG ) , is that was your issue and you were trying to restore incremental backups of Public Folder databases or normal exchange databases ? or there is another fix for your issue has been provided to your case ?

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

76 Posts

April 30th, 2012 00:00

Hi Carlos, Hi Ahmed,

I have resolved the issue with the help of EMC support.

EMC gave me the possibility to dowload the Build 109 of NMM with a hotfix for nsrsnap_vss_recover.exe.

And it's works fine.

On my infrastructure of Integration, i have good incremental backup for exchange.

And i have did many tests of restore full/incr with NMM, and i haven't problem.

Thanks a lot of your interest.

544 Posts

April 30th, 2012 01:00

Thanks a lot David for your clarifications , Appreciated.

Ahmed Bahaa

76 Posts

April 30th, 2012 01:00

I couldn't restore a normal exchange DB.

And the Support guy ask me to install th Build 109 with a hotfix for nsrsnap_vss_recover.exe

And it's all.

I tried to recover a normal exchange DB without this hotfix (nsrsnap_vss_recover.exe) and this doesn't work.

Thanks

David.

No Events found!