Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2011 07:00

restore without networker

Dear all,

NBU offers the possibility to manually restore nbu backups with tar , is there a way to restore Networker backups without installing the software, just using OS commands?

thanks

May 20th, 2011 15:00

I had one instance where I had to use UASM with some tapes that had an issue - they were either partially corrupted or did not complete or something like that.  Anyhow UASM was able to recover what was readable on the tape even though it wasn't a complete saveset, but that is the only time I can recall ever using it.

144 Posts

May 20th, 2011 08:00

It seems that NBU (Netbackup) has alot of nice functionality that NetWorker has not.

You can do something analagous to using TAR with the UASM command, check the MAN pages.  The functionality of the Networker application abstracts this to make it easier for the end user (much in the same way Netbackup does).  Am I right to guess you are in the middle of an unwanted transition from Netbackup to Networker?  Is there any particular reason why you wish to recover this way?

128 Posts

Hi,

AFAIK, no.

240 Posts

May 20th, 2011 12:00

I have been a NBU and BE admin and I know what you are talking about.  As David said, usam offers the functionality that would allow you to perform the extraction of data from a saveset.

But, as Hrvoje said, why would you want to do so?  Even when I was an NBU/BE admin (for 10 years), I never had a reason to restore outside of the application.  On the few test cases I did I found it to be problematic since security had to be placed in manually.

Your best bet overall is to use the application that performed the backup to perform the restore.

As for "NBU (Netbackup) has alot of nice functionality that NetWorker has not", I would like to know what funcationality you feel is missing.  So far I have not found anything that is "missing" from NetWorker that IS in NetBackup.

Mark

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 20th, 2011 12:00

If I would be a NBU user, why would I use tar to restore?  If I had legacy backups, and I would be not able to migrate them to current solution, I would kept VM with server somewhere to restore it (or some small system if VM is not suitable).  Same applies to NW.  You can use uasm which comes with NW, but since there why not use NW in the first place?  Not sure about NBU, but NW doesn't require license for restore (well, as long as restores are done from server and standalone drive).

64 Posts

May 22nd, 2011 14:00

Hi all

I am a Networker guy, I have been asked that question by a customer who uses NBU and is planning to buy Networker.

I will learn about uasm although it is not needed.

there is a good functionality in NBU that I would like to see in NW :

right click a file and select back it up

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2011 02:00

yassine wrote:

there is a good functionality in NBU that I would like to see in NW :

right click a file and select back it up

I would hate to see end users all at sudden firing backups as they are pleased   But, with some basic Windows tooling, you can do that under 5 minutes if you want.  Unless there is more beneath, I assume same was done by NBU, but I would have problem with that for sure.

No Events found!