Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2011 14:00

Assistance on a new configuration (6224/MD3000i)

Please note: I am primarily a developer in a smaller shop.  We just started a move to a virtualized environment, but some of the configuration steps are a bit out of our comfort zone.  I've gone through many of the forum posts, but since I don't speak the switch and router language I am not comfortable with blindly following some of the resolutions since I am not sure they fully pertain to our environment.

That being said, here is our configuration:

1 - Dell R710 server (for our ESX host)

1 - Dell MD3000i array with dual iSCSI controllers

2 - Dell PowerConnect 6224 switches

My plan:

3 VLANs: 1 iSCSI, 1 network, 1 management network

iSCSI running just between the R710 and the MD3000i.  No need to handle any external routing since this will be completely isolated

The normal network traffic will run on 192.168.169.0/24

Management traffic will run on 192.168.170.0/24

First of all, is this a good plan?  This seemed to be the best practice of isolation between the different networks so I followed a lot of what I saw and read between the forums and several whitepapers.

6224 Configuration:

These switches will not be stacked or connected via LAG connections.  Several posts indicated that LAG connections were not needed in this basic of a setup with the MD3000i.

Ports 1-8 : iSCSI network

Ports 9-18: normal network traffic

Ports 19-24: Management network traffic

Jumbo frames enabled for iSCSI

Overall I think this will give us enough ports to handle some small growth before we have to move to some 6248 switches.

Now, not being a networking/infrastructure guy, is this something I could setup via the web interface or do I have to run everything through the console CLI?  If I have to go through the CLI would any kind soul be able to provide me with a basic setup command list to make the above happen?

If any of the above approaches seem to be out of the norm or not a best practice then I am all ears.  We want to have a plan for a certain level of failover and growth, but for the moment we want to keep the overall configuration pretty vanilla so we don't get tripped up on a lot of troubleshooting time.  

Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand.  I'm open to any and all suggestions to get this configured and off of my plate so I can get back into my own comfort zone with our remaining hardware.

No Responses!
No Events found!