Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2012 15:00

Connecting 7024 to 8024

I have two 8024f's stacked and tried to connect a pair of 7048's that are stacked.

When I connect a fiber between the two, I don't get a link

New to the Dell Switch world. Am I missing something?

Both ports are configured Access Mode

5 Posts

August 1st, 2012 09:00

the user just showed me the 10GSFP-R modules I'm suppose to be using

802 Posts

July 31st, 2012 15:00

You will need to set up a trunk or general mode connection between the two stacks.  This will allow Layer 2 VLANs to traverse between the devices.

Trunk Links attach two VLAN aware switches (or other VLAN aware devices) together and allows for multiple VLAN frames to cross one link.

On VLAN trunk links, all frames must be tagged with the respective VLAN ID’s

The native VLAN must match on all switches in the segment. (VLAN 1 is default Native VLAN).  The native VLAN is NOT tagged.

General Links consist of a combination of VLAN Trunk and Access Links.

General Links can have both tagged and untagged frames, However, all frames sent to a specific VLAN must be tagged.  All untagged  frames are sent to the native VLAN.

The native VLAN still applies to the General LINK.  While it is possible to have multiple untagged vlans on a General link, you can only have ONE (1) PVID.  The PVID represents the native VLAN. 

While untagged traffic may be sent via several untagged VLANs, returning untagged traffic will only be received by the PVID and therefore will NOT be forwarded to a specific VLAN.

General links are mostly used today for legacy equipment.  However, on the PowerConnect 62xx series switches, you must use General mode if you want to allow management traffic onto the switch over the PVID.  If you use Trunk mode, you will not have the default VLAN on those ports.  The ports will only allow tagged traffic.

Hope this helps,

Keep us updated if you can.

5 Posts

July 31st, 2012 18:00

thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific. I am not getting a physical link between the switches.

Having the ports configured as Access wouldn't prevent seeing a link when I connect the fibers, would it?

802 Posts

July 31st, 2012 19:00

Yes, you should have a solid link light on the left side of the port.  Page 93 of the User Guide describes the available port LED states.

support.dell.com/.../UG.pdf

Also page 251 of the User Guide discusses the cable diagnostic options.

5 Posts

August 1st, 2012 09:00

I think the issue is interface negotiation/speed

on the 8024 I am using te2/0/2

I get the following info

coedell#show interfaces advertise te2/0/2    

Port: Te2/0/2

Type: 10G - Level

Link State: Down

Auto Negotiation: Disabled

The port on the 7048 is gi1/0/45

When I try to configure the speed on Te2/0/2, I get the following

coedell(config-if-Te2/0/2)#speed 1000

An invalid interface has been used for this function.

coedell(config-if-Te2/0/2)#speed auto 1000

An invalid interface has been used for this function.

coedell(config-if-Te2/0/2)#

The 8024's software version is

System Software Version 4.2.0.4

Should I be able to configure speed on the 8024f?

802 Posts

August 1st, 2012 10:00

Excellent!  That should help in getting the connection set up properly.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

5 Posts

August 1st, 2012 11:00

I got a link now but I can't ping between switches yet. We're a Cisco shop and just started getting some Dell switches so I'm still trying to figure stuff out on the Dells.

I'm configuring the ports between switches in trunk mode which I think I read I should be using in switch-to-switch connections. If I can't figure it out, I will be looking for some assistance.

Thanks

No Events found!