Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2019 08:00

Dell N3024F Switch Failure

I have a Dell N3024F switch that connects fiber from various switches around our campus. While I was out of town, the switch went down taking down the entire network as it is the central switch in the main server room. Someone made a video of the front panel of the switch at the time and what I am seeing is the Status LED blinking red, the Locator (PSU 2) LED blinking green (which is odd as no one has the password to the switch except me to turn on locator) and the Fan LED was solid red. All LEDs on the individual switch ports were off.

The switch was rebooted (turned off and turned on) and the errors cleared and the switch has been operating normally since.

Unfortunately, the logs have been overwritten so I cannot tell what exactly happened other than there was apparently a fan failure somehow.

Is there any way I can determine what happened? Or run some sort of diagnostic that might give me a further clue?

The switch is running firmware version 6.3.2.7. Should I upgrade the firmware? If so, which version should I upgrade to? 6.3.3.14 or 6.5.3.4? I am not using the stacking functions of the switch if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

• 

8.7K Posts

March 14th, 2019 10:00

Yes, 6.5.3.4. The older 6.3 version was left available for people that need to step up to a middle version.

7 Posts

Thanks. That was what I was afraid of.

Do you recommend 6.5.3.4? Why is there also a 6.3.3.14 version also on the download page?

• 

8.7K Posts

Hi,

We would recommend running the newest firmware. If the logs have been cleared there is not a way to look at them anymore. If you configure an external syslog server that could keep records of all errors. Page 424 https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/esuprt_net_fxd_prt_swtchs/networking-n3000-series_user%27s-guide10_en-us.pdf

No Events found!