Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2016 16:00

Force10/DELL S60n shows PSU in bay 1 as absent even after replacement.

Hi there

I have two Force10 S60n's and after a power surge a few weeks back I have some issues with one of them. It's somewhat mysterious so bear with me here.

Over snmp it reported: Status Alert: s60-01 Unit 0 PowerSupply 2 entered ALERT state: down (previous: up)

And in the terminal I see this:

--  Power Supplies  --

Unit   Bay   Status       Type

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

0     0     up            AC 

0     1     absent   

There's no active alarms on the switch and no RED or AMBER LED's on front of it. I have green power LED and green PS0 LED and nothing else.

I have replaced the PS1 with a new one with no change of state nor LED on front. When unplugging PS0 or PS1 the switch runs for a few minutes and after that all LED's goes dark but the fans are still running in the PSU's. I have to reseat the PSU and unplug all power and replug it to get it back up. 

Not really sure what's going on here and what do do about it. Have anyone seen a similar state? 

Cheers and thanks

2 Posts

August 9th, 2016 14:00

And would there be any diagnostics I can run on it to find eventual broken components?

• 

8.7K Posts

August 9th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

It sounds like something may have been damaged in the switch with the power surge if replacing the power supply did not resolve the issue. 

• 

8.7K Posts

August 9th, 2016 15:00

There are not any commands for more detailed information on where a power failure would be occurring. The logs may show something but only the power supplies and fans in the switch have replaceable parts, if the issue is anything else the whole switch would need to be replaced. Due to the nature of the damage it most likely would not be a warranty replacement and would be something to go to your insurance with. 

No Events found!