Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 14:00

Licensing for Network switches

For some reason I have been unable to find any information on license requirements for Dell network switches, mainly via google. I have searched forums, read blogs, even called various resellers and they don't know. There is no information on product pages, or spec pdfs. Dell sales and support have not even responded to me at all. I can't even figure out how to buy licenses! I find Dell switches are being used all over the place, so must be popular. So how can it be so hard to find how to buy their product?

Can anyone tell me, or point me in the direction, to which network switches require licenses and how to buy them?

Please! Thanks! 

117 Posts

June 24th, 2020 06:00

We've owned various "Dell" switches over the years (PowerConnect, N-Series, S-series, etc), and the only thing that I'm aware of that explicitly requires a "software" license is the newer S-Series when you want to run OS10 enterprise edition.  We always purchase ours with the OS and license pre-installed.  If you wanted to upgrade an older S-series device that supports OS10, but shipped with OS9, you would need to purchase an OS10 license first.  We haven't dealt with that, so I can't help with that process, but at least this is my understanding.

• 

8.7K Posts

June 24th, 2020 10:00

Hi,

Which switches do you have? Bealdrid is correct that most don’t need licenses.

• 

8.7K Posts

June 24th, 2020 14:00

That’s right NS_ELSZ. There is no licensing for the X series or N series, you get all of the features and free updates. The N series also has a full cli and not just a gui for configuration. Let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2020 14:00

None yet because I don't know what I can get...based on features and TCO. I am looking at the N-Series as it has some minimum L3 routing, I believe the X-Series doesn't do any L3 at all. Is this correct?  I don't need an Enterprise level switch as this is a very small network. I really just need a managed switch with enough ports.

So are you saying that some Dell Network switches don't require a license to enable all the features and ports, like other brands do? I just wish there was a list or anything that showed a customer what all the features and requirements of said products are, and how much.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2020 16:00

Wow. Thank you so much!

No Events found!