Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

9 Posts

May 6th, 2021 10:00

N1548P Clicking for a few seconds after power is unplugged.

I've just purchased 2 of these switches.  As far as I can tell they are running properly.  I noticed, on both switches, that once I remove power, about 5 seconds later it will click for a few seconds.  Is this normal?

Firmware v6.6.3.8

https://youtu.be/OCxivh7EeIs

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

May 6th, 2021 14:00

The switch shouldn't be clicking, but fortunately, that shouldn't be anything more than a fan clicking. You might consider working to identify which fan it is, but if that's the only time you're hearing it click, you may be fine as-is. It is worth noting though, that the manual indicates these fans as not being removable.

"NOTE: The internal power supply unit and fans on the N1500 Series switches are not removable" - Dell N1500 Series Switches Getting Started Guide, page 13

https://dell.to/2RxWZLW

9 Posts

May 7th, 2021 07:00

The noise is definitely coming from the PSU.  I believe this is expected, based on this article from a different PSU manufacture. 

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

May 7th, 2021 07:00

I'm not sure if the relays in our switches would be mechanical or solid state, but a mechanical relay can absolutely make an audible click. If you're certain about where the sound is coming from, there may well be merit in what you've found.

2 Posts

August 11th, 2021 08:00

Sorry to bump a dead-ish thread, but just curious if you contacted Dell or had an official answer as to what the clicking is?  We got two of these as well, but only 1 of the 2 makes this noise when powered off.

Have there been any issues so far?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

August 11th, 2021 14:00

Hello,

If you believe your switch may be encountering a hardware issue, I would recommend contacting technical support. The only information I would be able to provide here is posted above.

2 Posts

August 11th, 2021 14:00

Thank you, I figured that was the only info you were able to provide.  I thought I replied to czj624 asking a specific question about his experience.  I'm sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

If I believe someone at Dell can help me, I definitely know the way to contact them.  Just asking the Community.

No Events found!