Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2017 13:00

N2000 CPLD update

I have a large number of 2024p/2048p switches that we deployed last summer with 6.3.0.15,16 or 18 and CPLD 13. I was looking over the notes for the upgrade to 6.3.2.7 and trying to figure out the impact of the CPLD update from 13 to 15. The language of the patch notes is not worded as strongly as most of the other content, they mention you can upgrade it where for other components they tell you that you must upgrade it (like boot code), but that you MUST downgrade it to go backwards.

In addition, they requirement to visit every switch and connect directly to it/power cycle it locally is a gigantic burden.

Its it required to update to CPLD 15 at the same time as upgrading to 6.3.2.7?  Is is possible to go to 6.3.2.7 and stay on CPLD 13 until someone can go to each switch and do the CPLD update (weeks or months), or should we stop at some lower release, like 6.3.2.6 that did not yet have the CPLD update until we can schedule the visits?

11 Posts

December 19th, 2017 18:00

Wanted to chime in with how we've done it (completely remotely)

Updating Stack
upload 6.3.3.10 code to stack (and all members)
copy tftp:// /image backup
Configure backup 
boot system backup
Backup up running config
copy running-config backup-config
Reload switch
Reload
Repeat the following for until all switches in the stack have been done
Take note of which switch is the master and set the next switch to be done as standby
config
stack
standby <#>
exit
exit
update cpld

• 

8.7K Posts

July 5th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

It is recommended for everything to be at the latest version. It may work with the older CPLD and the newer firmware, but it would be better to have them all updated at the same time. Just updating the firmware to a version that doesn’t need the newest CPLD is the best option. 

October 1st, 2017 10:00

We have three Dell Networking N2048 units in a stack. I upgraded from 6.3.2.3 --> 6.3.3.8 today. Going by the included PDF upgrading guide, I attempted to telnet into the stack and issue the command 'update cpld' to get from CPLD 13 --> CPLD 15. 

The console line showed that it was issuing the CPLD update command and after about a minute it printed a new line saying that it successfully issued the update command and returned me to my enable prompt.

However, when I go back into the console and issue 'show version' my CPLD version is still 13. I can't seem to get it to update the CPLD version to 15 from the stack master. Any help is appreciated.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 15:00

Same issue with a stack of 2 N2024s. Connected by SSH.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2017 08:00

Thanks so much for sharing. That is a great workaround for updating the CPLD remotely.

February 1st, 2018 15:00

Sorry just wanted to get some more information. So by setting a stack member as standby what does that achieve?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 05:00

By manually setting the stanby unit you are able to control which unit will become the next master unit. This allows you the ability to cycle through each switch in the stack, updating each switch as they become the master of the stack. 

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

February 28th, 2018 11:00

Your solution is good, but it will not work on stack with only 2 members. I can't demote the current Mgmt switch to standby. Example:

SWCORE_01_MRT02#show switch
    Management Standby   Preconfig     Plugged-in    Switch        Code
SW  Status     Status    Model ID      Model ID      Status        Version
--- ---------- --------- ------------- ------------- ------------- -----------
1   Stack Mbr  Cfg Stby  N3048         N3048         OK            6.1.0.6
2   Mgmt Sw              N3048         N3048         OK            6.1.0.6

Whenever i try to put switch2 as standby i get this message

SWCORE_01_MRT02#configure
SWCORE_01_MRT02(config)#stack
SWCORE_01_MRT02(config-stack)#standby 2
Error: Management unit cannot be set as Standby

Maybe i'll have to deal with uploading the startup-config to a tftpd server, edit the "standby" line and download it again to startup-config.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 6th, 2018 12:00

Nwildner, With a two switch stack there is no need to manually set the standby unit. There will always be one master switch and one standby switch.

The process should look similar to this:

- Update the CPLD on switch2(master) and reboot.

- When switch 2 reboots, switch 1(standby) will take the master role.

- Update the CPLD on switch1(master) and reboot.

- When switch 1 reboots, switch 2(standby) will take the master role.

Now you have updates CPLD on both switches, with 2 being master and 1 being standby.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 1st, 2019 10:00

Use the "update cpld unit" when upgrading to newer firmwares.

2 Posts

November 16th, 2019 20:00

update cpld 2

this will update switch 2 in the stack.

update cpld 3

this will update switch 3 in the stack.

No Events found!