Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 6th, 2018 04:00

Need help about bandwidth monitoring on Dell N3024

Hello everyone,

Recently, I've just upgraded the latest firmware for the N3024 switch and watching the logs, ugh, everything still be okay as I thought.

Then, some users reported that the network bandwidth sometimes slowly and I took a glance at the RMON Statistics via the web screen for making a graphical view. It looks like those ports Gi17 and Gi18 be taken rather high on the chosen field [Frames of 1024 to 1518 bytes] and the [Received Packets]

180806_L3_001.JPG180806_L3_010.JPG

But for these fields such as [CRC & Align Errors] or [Oversized Packets] which be detected nothing.

180806_L3_002.JPG180806_L3_003.JPG

Well, after a few checks, and I thought that those ports Gi17 & Gi18 did transfer data inside the local network with almost the file types are video extension. Maybe that the cause made the traffic became high on those ports and got the overall network slowing down.

So, my question is how could I make a monitor or detect whether those ports really make the slow connection to the overall network or not?

And I'd like to set a schedule and make a bandwidth's report for every specified time for all the ports. Be able to do it?

For example, via the web screen or CLI settings, the scheduled report will automatically extract the bandwidth information of all or a few ports and send it to my email for every 5 minutes.

Any help or advice are highly appreciated. 

Thank you for your consideration,

Dai M.

• 

8.7K Posts

August 6th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

You could mirror the ports and use wireshark or some other network monitoring software to see what the traffic is. Page 711 https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_networking/esuprt_net_fxd_prt_swtchs/networking-n3000-series_user%27s-guide11_en-us.pdf

August 8th, 2018 01:00

Hi Josh Cr,

After I focused on your suggestion and have a recognition with my configuration as below:

For example, I'd like to monitor all the active-ports and use port Gi1/0/24 (directly connect with a PC which installed the Wireshark) for monitoring, then I'll config such as:

Step1: Configure the destination port for monitoring for Gi1/0/24 

console(config)#class-map match-all MyClassMap
console(config-classmap)#exit
console(config)#policy-map MyPolicyMap in
console(config-policy-map)#class MyClassMap
console(config-policy-classmap)#mirror gi1/0/24

Step2: Enable monitor remote mode for Wireshark

console(config)#monitor capture remote port 2002
console(config)#monitor capture mode remote
console(config)#exit
console#monitor capture start 

Step3: On the Wireshark, add remote interface via the menu Capture > Options >... and start analyzing the packets.

---

Well, with my configuration above, if you found something wrong, please help me point it out!

I'm looking forward to seeing your response.

Thanks,

Dai M.

August 7th, 2018 03:00

Hi Josh Cr,

Thank you for your feedback!

I'll check and update the status later.

By the way, your suggestion that it sounds like the same with Configuring Port Mirroring on page 605 of this document 「networking-n3000-series_administrator-guide10_en-us.pdf」- which I'm referring before your answer. 

I'm not much experience in networking field, then I must clear them all before doing a deployment.

Please help point my misunderstanding out if any.

Thanks,

Dai M.

• 

8.7K Posts

August 8th, 2018 09:00

That looks fine to me.

August 8th, 2018 18:00

Hi Josh Cr,

Thank you for your feedback!

Regards,

Dai M.

No Events found!