Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 7th, 2017 07:00

Oversized packets between N2048 and N4064F

I've set up a link between a N2048 (Tengigabitethernet 1/0/2) and  a N4064F (Tengigabitethernet 1/0/48) with a DELL DAC. These two switch are configured with MTU set to 9216 on each switch.

But on the 2 ports involved in this link I get a lot of :

On the N2048

# show interfaces counters tengigabitethernet 1/0/2

Received packets dropped > MTU: ............... 303283
Transmitted packets dropped > MTU: ............ 155494

On the N4064F:

#show interfaces counters Tengigabitethernet 1/0/48

Received packets dropped > MTU: ............... 147596
Transmitted packets dropped > MTU: ............ 221817

I do not understand why this occure as MTU is the same for the 2 switchs. Any idea ?

Thanks

Patrick

• 

8.7K Posts

February 7th, 2017 09:00

Hi,

What types of devices are connected to the switches? If it is connected to a vswitch those packets could be coming in at the wrong size. You may also want to make sure that the switch firmware is up to date on both switches. 

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

February 8th, 2017 05:00

Thanks for your reply

These 2 switchs are connected to cluster nodes and servers with a MTU set to 9000.

There are also IDRAC et unix nodes on the N2024 with MTU set to 1500.

That I do not understand is why this error message occure only on the uplink  as the MTU is the same on the 2 switchs and set to 9216 (lager than on the connnected hosts) ?

If a packet has wrong MTU from a server, the error should be reported on the switch port it is connected to. And I've only errors on the uplink between the 2 switchs. Or I'm wrong with this behavior (I'm not a networking gourou) ?

I've changed the DAC cable, the error is the same.

Patrick

• 

8.7K Posts

February 8th, 2017 09:00

What version is the firmware at?

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

February 9th, 2017 03:00

Hi Josh

These 2 switch N2048 and N4064F have 6.2.0.5 firmware level (I've updated the firmwares before puting them in prod).

Patrick

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

February 9th, 2017 07:00

Hi Josh,

I think your suggestion is a very good idea. Looking in details to the release notes I found a corrected bug about "Receive and transmit packets dropped > MTU counters increasing" in  Release 6.2.1.6!

So, may be it is just a "counter bug!"

I'm not very familar with firmware update but it is obviously the first step to do when problems arise.
I'll proceed to the updates now.

Patrick

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

February 10th, 2017 01:00

I've updated the first switch to 6.3.1.13. All run fine but now I'm unable to use a browser to connect to the switch. I get a SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP with firefox or seamonkey (latest centos6 or redHat6 version). I saw some changes in the release notes since my old firmware version:

"Disable SSL Version 2 and 3 Protocols and user TLS1.0 or higher " in release 6.2.6.6 and they suggest that "ip http secure-protocol" allows to configure the desired protocol. 

This command is not documented in the latest CLI reference guide (january 2006 version). With the online command documentation I try to execute:
ip http secure-protocol TLS1 SSL3

But it does not help. Any suggestion is welcome before I try to update the other switch.

Patrick

• 

8.7K Posts

February 10th, 2017 09:00

Try setting  about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for bold preferences starting with security. - right-click and reset those entries to their default values.

It has to do with the changes to TLS.

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

February 13th, 2017 09:00

Hi Josh

I've reset to original values all bolds security tags (no security* tag in bold now) on Firefox. Connecting to the switch provides an information page saying the connection is unsecure, an "advanced" button and the message: "SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP".

If I click on this button i can accept to use lower security but  connection fails with:

SSL_ERROR_INAPPROPRIATE_FALLBACK_ALERT

and

security.tls.incsecure_fallback_hosts becomes bold and is set to my switch IP.

The only way to connect is http with a browser after the firmware update

security.tls.version.min is set to 1 and security.tls.version.max to 3 (defaults values)

No Events found!