Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2013 14:00

Packet loss/drop on PC6224 & weird MAC addresses

Hello,

i'm having a huge problem that i'm finding near impossible to crack:

on a large spine-leaf netwok i have 3 core PC6224 switches connected via their 10Gbit ports(there's no STP/mesh/nothing, a single connection).

All the gigabit ports of those switches in turn connect to distribution switches

thing is that during DDoS attacks or "high" traffic conditions(relative.., it happens when there's ~1.5/2Gbit/s on a 10Gbit port) all the sudden a server in one switch(gig port) starts losing packets to the server in the 10Gb port(the one with traffic), a simple ping command shows lost packets.

Viceversersa as well, and a ping from the 10gbe server to the switch virtual IP also shows dropped packets.

this shouldn't be happening at all, utilization is nowhere near HALF of peak!.

switches are configured default essentially, there's no VLAN, no routing, no qos, flow control enabled globally

i've checked statistics using RMON(sadly PC6224 lacks a simple "show how many BW is used RIGHT NOW in realtime in every port") and all i see are several thousand pause frames on the XG interfaces and GB but nothing alarming(like 20K pause frames in 10 millon packets).

Port errors are also very very low and happen on the gigabit ports mainly.

Also something curious i've found in the address tables is that some ports(specially the 10gbe ones) have a LARGE number of consecutive MAC addresses, that smells like an ARP attack:

aa:00:00:15:00:04 1/xg1  
  VLAN 1 aa:00:00:15:00:05 1/xg1  
  VLAN 1 aa:00:00:15:00:06

Can this be nuking the switches?

how do i prevent that?, i can't use portsec as this is not a "closed" network(more like a large ISP) and every port connects to another switch, since there's no DHCP i can't use dhcp spoofing or anything of the sort...

ideas?, i'm about to turn off flow control globally in all switches to see if that makes a difference

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 12th, 2013 14:00

I think you have the right mindset with looking into disabling or modifying flow control. Here is a great white paper that talks about flow control and gives some alternatives.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pwcnt/en/Flow-Control-and-Network-performance-with-PowerConnect.pdF

Keep us updated on what changes were made and how the network responded.

41 Posts

September 13th, 2013 06:00

Daniel,

thanks for the pdf, i found some disturbing info on that PDF that essentially says the PC6200 line is based on a "inadequate" chipset with severe shortcomings(something i don't find funny when the switch is "active" and listed with performance options like dedicated stacking or ability to put 4 10gb interfaces)  -and that info is not shown on the product page nor datasheet nor manual- or i wouldn't have gone for this switches.

Beecause if they have up to 48 ports AND 40 gigabit on the back that means it must be able to handle all ports at full sustained load LOSSLESS, even more on the 24 port version), instead what i'm finding is that with paltry BW numbers (~2gbit on a 10gbe port) it's starting to apparently choke and i can't find any CLI or metric or command to measure buffer status/contention.

So far i've disabled flow control and i'll continue monitoring

41 Posts

September 20th, 2013 12:00

i've disabled flow control and network appeared to be doing fine until it suffered a low speed DoS attack and the whole network crumbled...

the weird MAC addresses turned out to be fine(where virtual machines)

No Events found!