Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

May 27th, 2010 03:00

PowerConnect 6248 stuck after firmware upgrade

Hi,

I upgraded a PowerConnect 6248 switch from firmware version 2.2.0.3 (and Boot Menu Jun 30 2009) to firmware version 3.2.0.7 (and Boot Menu 3.2.0.7).

I followed the upgrade process outlined in the "PowerConnect 6200 Series Release 3.2 Upgrade Procedure.pdf" document (except that powering down the switch and powering up it back up before the boot code upgrade, since I don't have physical access to the switch and I performed the process through an Avocent console server).

After the boot code upgrade, the switch rebooted and come up just fine with the new firmware version and appeared to be working fine.

To make sure the switch came back after a normal reload, I issued "copy running-config startup-config" and then "reload".

Then boom: the switch didn't come back properly, it got stuck at the "applying configuration" screen with a few cnfgr_hw_tally.c error messages, please see below for the full console log.

So since I don't have physical access to the switch, I looked for a way to reload the switch from the console, but I couldn't find any.

After a few attempts, I issued "devshell exit" and the switch is now stuck there, it doesn't seem to accept input anymore ...

Now, is there a way to reload it from the console? Or should I send someone to the datacenter to power cycle it?

What does the cnfgr_hw_tally.c error messages mean? Does the switch need to be replaced? Or does it just need a powercycle after each firmware upgrade?

Thanks.

(Unit 1 - Waiting to select management unit)>

Applying Global configuration, please wait ...

<188> JUN 20 00:48:09 0.0.0.0-1 CNFGR[55730144]: cnfgr_hw_tally.c(421) 8 %% L2 hardware update tally timed out. Proceeding with hardware reconciliation.

<188> JUN 20 00:48:09 0.0.0.0-1 CNFGR[55730144]: cnfgr_hw_tally.c(423) 9 %% The following components did not report: POLICY, DOT1Q, PBVLAN, DOT3AD, FDB, IP, QOS_ACL, QOS_COS, QOS_DIFFSERV, PORT_MIRROR, FILTER, SNOOPING, DOT1S, DOT1X, DVLANTAG, PORT_MACLOCK, DENIAL_OF_SERVICE, IPV6, LLDP, IP_SUBNET_VLAN, MAC_VLAN, PROTECTED_PORT, VOICE_VLAN, DHCP_SNOOPING, DYNAMIC_ARP_INSPECTION, QOS_VOIP, CAPTIVE_PORTAL, CAPTIVE_PORTAL_WIRED_INTF_OWNER

<188> JUN 20 00:48:09 0.0.0.0-1 CNFGR[55730144]: cnfgr_hw_tally.c(421) 10 g%% L3 hardware update tally timed out. Proceeding with hardware reconciliation.

<188> JUN 20 00:48:09 0.0.0.0-1 CNFGR[55730144]: cnfgr_hw_tally.c(423) 11 %% The following components did not report: IP, IPV6, RLIM, ARP

Applying configuration, please wait ...>

<188> JUN 20 00:49:09 0.0.0.0-1 CNFGR[55730144]: cnfgr_hw_tally.c(421) 12 %% IP MCAST hardware update tally timed out. Proceeding with hardware reconciliation.

<188> JUN 20 00:49:09 0.0.0.0-1 CNFGR[55730144]: cnfgr_hw_tally.c(423) 13 %% The following components did not report: MCAST

Applying configuration, please wait ...>?

devshell                 Execute devshell command. Only the admininstrative

user can run this command.

drivshell                Execute devshell command. Only the admininstrative

user can run this command.

techsupport              

Applying configuration, please wait ...>devshell ?

Enter devshell argument.

Applying configuration, please wait ...>techsupport ?

enable                   Enable/Disable TechSupport Mode.

Applying configuration, please wait ...>techsupport enable

Support commands should only be used by the manufacturer's technical support personnel as improper use could cause unexpected system behavior and/or invalidate product warranty.

Are you sure you want to continue? (y/n)y

Applying configuration, please wait ...>drivshell ?

Enter devshell argument.

Applying configuration, please wait ...>Devshell chkdsk('/DskVol/',0,0x200)

pFd->pVolDesc->devHdr.name = /DskVol/.

pVolDesc->devHdr.name = /DskVol/.

/DskVol//  - disk check in progress ...

/DskVol//  - Volume is OK                                       

total # of clusters: 15,147

# of free clusters: 5,272

# of bad clusters: 0

total free space: 10,544 Kb

max contiguous free space:  10,496,000 bytes

# of files: 29

# of folders: 1

total bytes in files: 19,710 Kb

# of lost chains: 0

total bytes in lost chains:  0

value = 0 = 0x0

arg 1: /DskVol/

Applying configuration, please wait ...>devshell exit

1 Message

June 27th, 2012 22:00

Hello,

We also faced a same problem after upgrading the firmware to 3.2.0.7 and 3.3.3.3, after doing lot of research on the switch configuration we found an problem with the VLAN. Hope there will be an VLAN conflict in the configuration. Hope now you can resolve issue by changing the VLAN settings.

No Events found!