Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2015 12:00

VLAN troubles

I'm having a lot of troubles implementing VLANs on these switches.

From what I've gathered:

• T: VLAN member, packets are tagged. Trunk.

• U: VLAN Member, however packets are untagged.

• F: Denied VLAN membership

• Blank: Not a VLAN member

I have 2 switches an a router in my scenario.

Switch2: has an access point broadcasting 3 VLANs (IDs 2-4), attached to interface1. Interface16 is the uplink to switch1.

Switch1: has Switch2 attached to interface1

Switch1 had interface1 blank, previously, and the VLANs were working. I switched it to T and it stopped working. Clients would try to get a DHCP address and it would stop there. Assigning addresses statically provided no network access beyond connecting to the access point. Switching this interface back to blank does not resolve the issue, the issue persists.

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't I want all the paths that these VLANs should follow to receive the VLAN IDs?

To summarize:

1. VLAN IDs 2,3, and 4 are broadcasted on wifi.  A user joins one of these VLANs based on the SSID they connect to

2. 1 Access Point is connected to interface1 on switch2, which uplinks to switch1 via interface16

3. interface1 on switch1 receives the traffic from interface16 on switch2

4. switch2 sends the traffic to my sonicwall via interface22

What settings do I need on each switch to accomplish this?  

This is switch 2: http://puu.sh/eid5Z/345baaf3d4.png, the settings are the same for VLANs 2 through 4.

Same story for switch1: http://puu.sh/eidlX/c24ea6e948.png

• 

8.7K Posts

January 9th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Was the PVID for the ports set back to VLAN 1? Home->switch->VLAN-> Port Settings

Switching switch 1 to tagged traffic should have been fine if switch 2 was also set on tagged and they were on the same VLANs. What model switch are you using?

5 Posts

January 9th, 2015 15:00

All set to PVID1.

Switch2 is a PowerConnect 2816, Switch1 is a PowerConnect 2824

• 

8.7K Posts

January 9th, 2015 15:00

Is the VLAN setting blank on both switches or just switch 1? When you changed it, that should have worked, have you rebooted the switches? Is the firmware up to date? [View:www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails]

5 Posts

January 9th, 2015 16:00

I've not rebooted any switches as this would take out a lot of clients.  I've not checked for firmware updates.  These are both things that crossed my mind but I've been putting off as I haven't had a moment where I can try this.  Are you able to view these links?  This is the setup on both switches:

Switch 2: puu.sh/.../c24ea6e948.png

Switch 1: puu.sh/.../345baaf3d4.png

Switch1: AP is on port 1, uplink to switch2 is on port 16.  The settings are the same for each for the VLAN IDs

Switch2: Port1 has another AP on it (also not working), port17 is the link to switch1, port22 is the link to my sonicwall gateway.

• 

8.7K Posts

January 12th, 2015 08:00

I can see the images, they both look like they are configured correctly.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2015 09:00

I guess I'm stumped then.  I can't get any access to my sonicwall at all when the ports are configured this way.

Is there no way to view live logging on these switches?  That would be helpful.

• 

8.7K Posts

January 13th, 2015 10:00

Since the configuration is correct the issue is probably with either the Aps or the Sonicwall. Try configuring an interface untagged on VLAN 2 and connecting a PC to it and see if it gets an IP address. You can also try putting a PC on the VLAN of the sonicwall or AP and see if it can ping them. We may be able to isolate the issue then.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2015 11:00

Update: this is solved.

The problem was the previous admin didn't document the network well and it turns out the switch the access point was connected to was actually going to a completely different switch, which is directly connected to my sonicwall.  my main switch, or what should be one of my two main switches, is actually connected back to the switch the sonicwall is connected to.  Mess of cables running through the ceiling and all that jazz... but I figured it out.  I was configuring it correctly, just not on the correct switch.  Had to do a lot of MAC lookups to determine which ports things were going to to figure this out.

No Events found!