Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

March 22nd, 2018 08:00

rate limiting on a Dell N4000

I have a question about rate limiting on a Dell N4000 series stack.

I have a Vlan with no ip address assigned to it, without routing, on purpose.  I want to allow some users to have a 30 Mbps connection, other users to have at 1.5 Mbps connection.  I plan to limit it based on IP address.

We just tried a  test on the existing network, where we moved a certain ip address down to 1.5 Mbps, and it killed everyone's connection to .50 Mbps.  The software on the switch is 6.3.3.10, and the relevant config is as follows:

ip access-list Guest-Vlan-Rate-Limit-in
permit ip 192.168.58.26 255.255.255.255 any rate-limit 1500 128  
permit ip any any rate-limit 30000 128
exit
ip access-list Guest-Vlan-Rate-Limit-out
permit ip 192.168.58.26 255.255.255.255 any rate-limit 1500 128
permit ip any any rate-limit 30000 128
exit
int vlan 5
ip access-group Guest-Vlan-Rate-Limit-in in
ip access-group Guest-Vlan-Rate-Limit-out out
exit

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 11:00

How are you performing this test? I have seen some testing methods not provide reliable results. Here is a KB article on using iperf: http://dell.to/2pzntvB

Can you please test between two clients on the network?

Is this VLAN part of a Trunk? or Access mode? If access mode you could also test applying the rate limit to the physical interface rather than the VLAN interface.

Keep us posted on your findings.

10 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 11:00

Hi,

This network is set up for just users going directly to the internet - we do not support client to client communications. This network is intended for mobile phones and any non-company owned computers. We actually want to allow increased bandwidth for the non-company pc's, and have another lower bandwidth for mobile users.  This network doesn't connect to company owned resources.  We currently use an Exinda for rate limiting.  However, we are debating dropping support on that, and doing rate limits on the switch.

Applying a generic rate-limit to the outbound interface wouldn't solve the problem of some users getting a more bandwidth than others.  That is why we wanted to use an ACL with specific ip addresses

Our test was internet traffic to speedtest.net, using mobile phones, against the same server.  We wanted the acl to apply only to the ip address 192.168.58.26/32, instead it applied it to all ip addresses (192.168.58.0/23.) 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 26th, 2018 13:00

There was another community member a while back that was seeing some discrepancies between the different speed tests. One would show the results you would expect to see, while another stayed the same no matter what rate limit configuration was used. Can you perform the test again using different software?

How is the port configured that connects to the VLAN 5 devices? Could you post up the running config? Do you happen to have a brief topology diagram we can view?

No Events found!