Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2010 14:00

3C90X NIC has disappeared.

I have a retiring Dell Dimension 8300 which I will be retiring but want to keep running.  I have just replaced the hard drive that failed but now find I cannot connect to my router using an ethernet cable.  Device Manager tells me I don't have the proper drivers, but I know I do and my computer does not recognize it as a proper driver for my ethernet connection, but it does indicate an ethernet connection present.  The back light for the ethernet connection is lit.  When I run my 2con Nic Configuration Utility/Diagnostics, I get the message: No 3C90X NICs are installed on this computer.Anyone have any ideas on what might be going on?  I had no problem connecting to the internet before this.  Any advice?

October 30th, 2010 12:00

I now believe that this is simply a hardware problem.  The ethernet connection is connected directly to the motherboard.  I suspect something there no longer works since the error of  no #C90X NIC is obtained when diagnosing the system BIOS.  Fortunately, I had a spare wireless adapter handy and had no problem connecting to my wireless router that way.  My computer is almost 8 years old.  Failures are to be expected.  I have also recently purchased a USB - ethernet converter which I have not yet tried but suspect it will work as well since the wireless connect worked.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 21st, 2010 16:00

kirchhoffw,

Did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

October 24th, 2010 20:00

kirchhoffw,

Did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

Rick

Rick:

I began by installing my new hard drive, then loaded Windows XP, then loaded the drivers originally supplied by Dell as per instructions from Dell for installing a new hard drive.  I had installed a new hard drive about three years ago and had had no problem at that time.  While I can no longer remember the sequence of bringing the old desktop back to life, I imagine I followed the same set of instructions. I am suspecting a defective ethernet connection, but I am also skeptical of coincidences, specifically, of an ethernet connector becoming incapacitated at the same time as a hard drive suffering a lingering death.  I have attached a wireless adapter and am able to get to the internet with that.

Bill

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 24th, 2010 23:00

Bill,

I would normally send you to...

How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft® Windows® on a Dell™ Computer because you are reinstalling the system manually. I noticed that some of the links do not work. I contacted my sources and the links will probably be fixed in the near future, probably withing a day or two.

Step 4 is probably what information you'll need the information on.(that's where I found the broken links)

Rick

No Events found!